DLink DWL-G520+ 2 minute startup delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLink DWL-G520+ 2 minute startup delay

In my HTPC, I first used the above wifi nic in the 'middle' slot and used XPs usual zero-configuration service. This was causing problems with the antenna physically interfering with other cables and the card being unable to obtain an IP. The general advice seemed to be to disable the zero-config service and use d-links app. (When the nic was upstairs close to my di-624+ router, everything seemed to work perfectly, but I didn't test that much as I soon moved the htpc downstairs where it will be used).

So last night I swapped the nic to the other slot (swapping it with the DVB card), and did a completely fresh build of XP MCE, using dlinks config app. This is physically a much better arrangement and I get ~70% signal strength and quality, and a rock-steady connection.

The trouble is, the card is unavailable or not detected for about two minutes after boot (there is a big cross through the signal indicator in the system tray). After that time the dlink app appears on the screen, makes the connection and all is dandy.

I can't find a reason or solution. Help please!

TIA

T.
    FT.

I swear that this happens to my wireless as well.

If I access the network it seems to connect immediately but if I'm not doing any network things then it will just sit there with the cross in place (despite the wireless tool telling me I have a signal).

If MCE had the decency to actually conect network drives when the machine starts I'm sure that the problem wouldn't occur.

Is the network actually unavailable or does it connect when you start up a browser or connect to a network drive?

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

@Fat Tone: what kind of cypher do you use?

Comment

It doesn't connect until it wants to - firing up a browser doesn't help. Things do seem rather sluggish at first.

I'm using WPA-PSK.It is rock solid once connected :shrug:
        FT.

Comment

TKIP or AES?

TKIP can take a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
            TKIP or AES?

TKIP can take a while.
            Not sure (TKIP rings a bell) but is there a reason it would appear to do nothing for ages and then fire into life and achieve a connection in a few seconds, whereas using the zero-config app would do its thing straight away?
            FT.

Comment

I've noticed that from the Dlink prog as well, it might simply be that it sees the Wireless Zero Config service (WZC) active and needs to ponder what to do (that wouldn't be the only buggered thing with Windows and Wifi).

Try putting WZC in "manual" and see if it helps.

Comment

ok, thanks. As I've tried swapping a few things around, the dlink app currently sees 3 inactive adaptors so it is time for a complete stripout and then try that, although WZC is currently disabled.

I am *this* close to running cat5 around the outside of the house - which would provide other benefits too like freeing up a slot.
                FT.

Comment

get rid of these nonpresent devices, they REALLY mess up with your config.

WZC is disabled as seen in the services control panel or simply you're using Dlink utility and supplicant?

Comment

Will do.

I manually disabled WZC in services.msc
                    FT.

Comment

Well I cleaned everything up. I still have the long startup delay, but I guess I'll live with it until I get some Cat5 installed.
                      FT.

Comment

Working...
                      X