PDA

View Full Version : Toms bashes DFI

Chrono_Wanderer
28th July 2005, 13:27
http://www.tomshardware.com/column/20050728/index.html

Hmm. DFI and their manual. Mind you, I have a DFI Ultra-D, which is more or less the same as the SLI-D/DR, but I don't think I've even read the manu myself. If you ask me, people who buy a DFI board tends to know what they are doing, the market is different from that of Asus. DFI is the high-end entheuist, Asus is the prosumer. This article is like comparing an apple with an orange. Actually, after I built my first DFI system, if they continue this quality I don't think I am ever going back to Asus.

Dilitante1
28th July 2005, 13:35
me/ bets there werent enough freebies with the deal :p

Gurm
28th July 2005, 14:47
When Tom bashes something, you can be sure that someone else offered him a better bribe.

You know what's sad? Tom's been on the take for like 5 years now, shouldn't people have stopped caring what he says already?

Dr Mordrid
28th July 2005, 21:03
Yup....Toms been a real fanboy-for-hire for a longggg time.

Dr. Mordrid

LvR
28th July 2005, 21:13
http://www.tomshardware.com/column/20050728/index.html

Hmm. DFI and their manual. Mind you, I have a DFI Ultra-D, which is more or less the same as the SLI-D/DR, but I don't think I've even read the manu myself. If you ask me, people who buy a DFI board tends to know what they are doing, the market is different from that of Asus. DFI is the high-end entheuist, Asus is the prosumer. This article is like comparing an apple with an orange. Actually, after I built my first DFI system, if they continue this quality I don't think I am ever going back to Asus.
While I doubt most everybody else's results posted on the web and tend to believe what I experience myself, I see very little wrong with Tom's article in this particular case.

You may know what you are doing when running a DFI (or you simply have enough money to throw around and buy the most expensive/"blingy" mboard), but as Tom correctly commented, when things go wrong to the extent that you do need a manual, then you need a decent manual - I don't care if you are the most savvy techie or accomplished system builder out there - you simply don't always know all the details of every new design - even if it is a DFI or something better.

So a as an "out the box experience comparison" , I don't see how this particular article is like comparing apples and oranges - we all have our own idea what "quality" is and its extremely heavily based on personal experience and therefore biased

Wombat
29th July 2005, 00:57
I also have the DFI, and I think the manual rocked. I read manuals cover-to-cover before I install a motherboard, and this one was pretty good, better than my MSI or Epox motherboards. At least, it was VERY easy for me to identify all the jumpers, and it explained what they did, CLEARLY, and which lines were which.

Obviously, he failed to even LOOK at the manual, or he wouldn't have missed an entire power connector.

Personally, I didn't have any trouble figuring out the LEDs.

Also, he bitches about the clear-CMOS and safe-boot stuff, but totally fails to mention the POWER and RESET buttons that are built right on the board. These, combined with DFI's boot-failure-detection and *save slots* for CMOS settings, mean that the jumpers he's complaining about are unnecessary. In any event, mine came with tabbed jumpers, I believe, making it easy to place & remove jumpers if I needed to.

Plus, the rest of this board's layout is pretty sweet. Notice the right-angled floppy connector, and the way the IDE connectors are high on the board, closer to where your CD-ROM is likely to be. Also, the power connector is far away from the CPU, leaving plenty of room for cooling solutions.

Admiral
29th July 2005, 01:14
From what I've read the problem was a faulty memory stick which he failed to diagnose through the DFI leds.

The PIT
29th July 2005, 01:26
Looks like the guy doesn't know basic trouble shooting techniques.

UtwigMU
29th July 2005, 04:23
My BX DFI has been solid, had good updates and did 133FSB for 5 years, I'll consider DFI again when buying performance desktop motherboard.

dshumake
29th July 2005, 05:27
I looked up the manual online. It isn't very descriptive. But on page 15 it shows a picture of the LEDs.
system condition 4 3 2 1
System start-up X X X X
CPUdetected X X X O
DRAM detected X X O O
VGA detected X O O O
System boot-up O O O O

X indicates light on O is light off

I don't see any description of the LEDs in the manual. Just looking at it suggests to me that once a condition is passed a light goes off. Full running system no lights.

The reviewer states there are three lights no matter what he does. Looks like the RAM isn't working.

Switch to a board with audible signals and in 30 min finds out RAM is bad.

Doesn't look like a competent reviewer.

dshumake

The PIT
29th July 2005, 11:07
I looked up the manual online. It isn't very descriptive. But on page 15 it shows a picture of the LEDs.
system condition 4 3 2 1
System start-up X X X X
CPUdetected X X X O
DRAM detected X X O O
VGA detected X O O O
System boot-up O O O O

X indicates light on O is light off

I don't see any description of the LEDs in the manual. Just looking at it suggests to me that once a condition is passed a light goes off. Full running system no lights.

The reviewer states there are three lights no matter what he does. Looks like the RAM isn't working.

Switch to a board with audible signals and in 30 min finds out RAM is bad.

Doesn't look like a competent reviewer.

dshumake

Like a said no fault finding skills.

The worse one is a suspect cpu/motherboard as theres a chance you're going to blow either another motherboard or cpu trying them out.

I had a MSI motherboard where the cpu went faulty but the board also went unstable afterwards. So did the cpu blow the board or did the board blow the cpu??? Sadly I damaged the board in removing it so I couldn't send it back.