Internet Explorer 7 Beta1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Explorer 7 Beta1

It's currently available as a closed beta and on MSDN, it looks like they cloned Firefox...which is however a good thing, because now I can finally ditch it Tabs, RSS, all work really well.

I just wish they would provide a proper download manager, which at least shows the full link and would maybe allow for pause/resume. IE for MacOS has had it for ages, and they even had it in some very early Longhorn builds of IE, but it was later scrapped...really makes no sense to me, that decision
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Given the minimum requirements WinXP SP2 I can't test it (to lazy to install WinXP, Win 2000 does fine ), I heard not so favourable reports so far, the tabbed behavious isn't that good, etc. We'll see when the final comes out, but I guess I will stick with Firefox and Opera.
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

The tabbed behavior is really good so far, have had no problems all afternoon and I usually keep many tabs open at the same time...in any case, for a beta (and especially an MS beta), it's much better than expected.

As for the XP-only req, I'm very much pro it anyway. After 4 years I consider it a mature, feature-rich OS so in this time anyone who has an interest in new MS stuff (like this IE7) should have upgraded by now. Of course, for non-MS fanboys, Firefox does most of this stuff already, and well My only gripe with Firefox is that some site scripts (like my university's weirdly coded login system) don't work well (or at all).

Comment

But 2k is also mature (more mature actually), feature-rich OS...

And yoor gripe should be with scripts, not FF...

Comment

Well, it IS a weird login system, but like I say to all the Linux & other alternative lifestyle people out there, a good piece of software is also judged by compatibility with all imaginable crap. Like when configuring Gentoo with a static IP, it asked for the broadcast mask for the network, which I didn't know and DHCP wrongly assigns - the difference is, Windows does not adopt this perfectionist approach, but it works without inputing any broadcast mask. Software should be compatible, because most of the code that it interacts with in the real world is far from perfect.

Comment

The only problem with the tabbed browsing is that it killed performance on my shitty laptop. PII 366w/ 256mb of ram, and tabbed browsing had to be disabled in order to do anything useful.
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

I just installed IE 7 Beta 1. At which point it rebooted and promptly killed Trillian! Trillian crashes every time you try and load it. On top of that, if you go to Trillian's website you are asked for a user name and password. Of course I have no idea what the user name and password is, so I can't access Trillian.cc.

Oh yeah, the first time I tried to load MURC and open a new tab at the same time. Crashed...

Another lovely MS product

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
                Well, it IS a weird login system, but like I say to all the Linux & other alternative lifestyle people out there, a good piece of software is also judged by compatibility with all imaginable crap. Like when configuring Gentoo with a static IP, it asked for the broadcast mask for the network, which I didn't know and DHCP wrongly assigns - the difference is, Windows does not adopt this perfectionist approach, but it works without inputing any broadcast mask. Software should be compatible, because most of the code that it interacts with in the real world is far from perfect.
                Well, IE isn't compatible with "all imaginable crap" either (oh, how many exploits/jokes existed that could crash it, etc...). It's compatible only because that particular crap of yours was created with IE in mind only.
                With your approach we will never have "perfect" software...compromises will prevent it...

Comment

I´m trying it and I feel that M$ got it right this time. It blantly copies firefox (and now for something completely different...) but it actually has all the firefox advantages without any of the drawbacks, that I can see. Everything that wouldn´t work like I want in firefox does so in IE 7...

It´s faster that IE 6, at least on my machine (Athlon XP@2200Mhz/1Gb RAM). It still hasn´t crashed yet. So far, so good.

Comment

I have to agree. one of the major reasons I never adopted Firefox is that I really never liked the way Netscape/Mozilla ever worked, and Firefox is just more of the same. too many things about the UI and ideas on it that I just don't like.

IE7 seems to have gotten it right for the most part.
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Great...looks like it will be back to IE for many...

Comment

Says it all, MS clones a great product, eveybody uses it because it IS MS....next step is for MS to claim its a major inovation by them, breakiong new boundaries..blah

Then they neglect it once they think they have stifled mozilla enough

MS don't make compatible software, infact they go out of there way to limit it for there own purposes, Its other people make there stuff compatible with MS

Comment

Working...
                        X