Windows Vista FAQ sheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Vista FAQ sheet

Damn, that's a lot of memory for "minimum".

512 megabytes (MB) or more of RAM
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

The full volume encryption sounds like a potential nightmare.

Comment

All my machines at home have 1GB of ram or more, 512MB of ram is bare minimum for Windows 2000 or XP let alone Longhorn!

Cheers,
      Elie

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff
        The full volume encryption sounds like a potential nightmare.
        You can say THAT again.

MS can't even handle encrypting a few files without some certificate getting lost somewhere and sending you up poop creek without a paddle.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
          Damn, that's a lot of memory for "minimum".

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/n...taBeta1FS.mspx
          I do acctually believe it can run on less...
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I guess a gigabyte will be for nonbudget boxes and powerusers will want 2GB or more.

As per dghost - I booted win2k with 32MB of RAM for joke once, it did run but it took about 10 minutes to boot .

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              You can say THAT again.

MS can't even handle encrypting a few files without some certificate getting lost somewhere and sending you up poop creek without a paddle.
              As far as I understand it, it's linked to the hardware on the motherboard, not any particular certificate.

So, just knowing the password should see you safe to unencrypted land.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                As far as I understand it, it's linked to the hardware on the motherboard, not any particular certificate.

So, just knowing the password should see you safe to unencrypted land.
                Tied...to...hardware?

Great, so I upgrade my motherboard and now my drives don't work? That's RETARDED.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

People shouldn't upgrade, they should buy new PCs. With new Windows license of course.

Comment

Let's hope there will also be a corporate version for Vista

Comment

There will, or no businesses will use. There's no chance in hell a corporation would spend the time to register 50000+ copies of Windows. It would cost businesses tens of thousands of dollars in administrative time alone to do so. There will be plenty of features that will let the hacker do some fun stuff and bypass all this crap.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                        Tied...to...hardware?

Great, so I upgrade my motherboard and now my drives don't work? That's RETARDED.
                        No, it's linked to a TPM security chip (Trusted Platform Module) that's onboard corporate PCs' mobo. http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/s..._security.html

Not for end users, and you probably don't want to mess with company HW unless you're the technician - and THEN the users might kill you if you lose their data

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                          No, it's linked to a TPM security chip (Trusted Platform Module) that's onboard corporate PCs' mobo. http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/s..._security.html

Not for end users, and you probably don't want to mess with company HW unless you're the technician - and THEN the users might kill you if you lose their data
                          Each company will no doubt have a master root certificate that can unlock all the data in the enterprise for use by IT staff. Not even MS is dumb enough to not have a master root certificate. Of course, this assumes that the corporation is smart enough to build an enterprise root CA server...

BTW, just got my hands on, in a very legitimate way, the DVD ISO for Vista Beta 1... it's 2.5 GB!!!!

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                            BTW, just got my hands on, in a very legitimate way, the DVD ISO for Vista Beta 1... it's 2.5 GB!!!!
                            Me too!
                            Attached Files
                            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

So how do you guys like it? How is the speed? What sucks about it?
                              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                              X