Using OpenGL with G450 hangs oddly in Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using OpenGL with G450 hangs oddly in Linux

I'm experiencing odd freezing and hanging with Matrox Millenium G450 in Linux. If I have DRI and GLX enabled in the X.org configuration, every time I run an OpenGL application that tries to draw anything to the screen, the whole computer mystically hangs. I mean, the mouse moves (although it's choppy, kind of updating every 5 pixels) but the buttons do nothing, the keyboard loses its focus, and I can't even get in through SSH.

If I disable DRI, OGL kind of works; all applications are able to draw something, but it's laggy and very slow. Moving a window lags behind 2-5 seconds, and X takes 98% of the CPU. Mind you, running programs like glxinfo don't hang, but they don't try to write to the display either. They just print text to stdout, which works fine.

I don't know yet if this is a hardware or a software problem. I remember using 3D applications with this hardware setup a few months ago with no problems, but I might remember wrong. It's possible the ECC memory upgrade I made recently has something to do with it (I used to have non-reg. non-ECC RAM). The relevant hardware:

Dual Intel Pentium III 933@966
    MSI 694D Pro-AR
    1 GB reg. ECC PC133 SDRAM
    Matrox Millenium G450 (DDR-SDRAM)

The software I tested it with was

X.org 6.8.1 and 6.8.2
    Linux 2.4.31, 2.6.12.3, and 2.6.11.9
    mgadrivers 4.1 (with and without HAL, plus the one bundled with X.org)
    Mesa 6.2.1

I tested all sorts of combinations, compiling the DRM and agpgart drivers as modules and into the kernel, different kernel versions with different X.org versions, to no avail. The next step is to switch the graphics adapter, but currently I'm unable to do that. It'll have to wait a week or two. I do have other kind of RAM and other hardware to test the different components, too, once I get to it.

The obvious solution is to disable DRI, but I'd like to be able to play the occasional Unreal Tournament round...
    When in doubt, use brute force.
    -- Ken Thompson

If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
Working...
X