• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady in the Water.....

Lady in the Water

Studio: Warner Brothers

When: 2006

Plot Outline:

The superintendent of an apartment building discovers a sea nymph in the building's pool.

Director/Producer/Writer:

M. Night Shyamalan

Co-Producer:

Sam Mercer (Signs, The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Mission to Mars, The Relic)

Cast (so far):

Cleveland: Paul Giamatti

The Lady: Bryce Dallas Howard

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I wonder if Shyamalan can keep up the trend he started with Signs and The Village

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
      I wonder if Shyamalan can keep up the trend he started with Signs and The Village

Of Shitty/sucky movies? I kinda liked signs, but never saw the village, but heard that the plot twist was retarted
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
        Of Shitty/sucky movies? I kinda liked signs, but never saw the village, but heard that the plot twist was retarted
        The plot twist... wasn't retarded as much as it was "oh... duh".

Sixth Sense had an EXCELLENT plot twist. Unbreakable you could see coming a mile away, or at least I could. Signs... pfeh. I liked the film a lot, but yes the ending was retarded. I liked the Village.

The problem with M. Knight Shyamalaramabaman is that he has this very methodical pacing that he sticks to regardless of how everyone else feels. In a business filled with movies that pander to the attention spans of the MTV generation, I revel in his movies. But I can see where a huge part of the audience goes "booooo! this is slow and boring!"
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          . But I can see where a huge part of the audience goes "booooo! this is slow and boring!"
          My wife is one of these ... very unfortunately. She has no attention span unless she's reading. Then she can sit in one spot and read for hours. But at the movie theater, she has the attention span of a gnat on speed and crack.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yeah. Lots of people do. Julie and I love going to the theater, but are often disappointed by the needlessly frenetic pacing of films nowadays. Well, except when they're SUPPOSED to be needlessly frenetic... "Hitchhiker's Guide" comes to mind.

But I find MKS refreshing. I loved Signs even though the entire alien premise was retarded. I loved The Village, in spite of the silly twists... which IMHO weren't THAT silly. I _really_ loved Unbreakable. And of course everyone loved The Sixth Sense... but not Haley Joel Donny Osmond.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

However, this plot synopsis sounds SUSPICIOUSLY like the premise for an "adult" comic I read a while back by someone named Phil Foglio, it was in XXXenophile (I forget which issue). A guy taps into an underground spring to fill up his jacuzzi and pool, only to discover that the spring was home to a water nymph and... err... well you get the idea.

There was a second chapter where he goes hiking and discovers that a major logging concern is about to cut down the trees of a couple of forest nymphs... *ahem* so he rescues the trees... *cough*

Comment

Others was "fun" too...

SPOILER ALERT

(btw, how many of you were thinking that EVERYBODY in the film are ghosts? (long before this was revealed of course) I was thinking that only one of the sides was (not sure which), but both...oh my )

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                  Others was "fun" too...

SPOILER ALERT

(btw, how many of you were thinking that EVERYBODY in the film are ghosts? (long before this was revealed of course) I was thinking that only one of the sides was (not sure which), but both...oh my )
                  Hrm. Not sure about this. It's always possible, I suppose. We don't really see enough of the other group (the new owners of the house) to really be sure, now do we?

Comment

By new owners you mean those who appear briefly at the end during session with medium, I suppose?
                    I didn't mean that they are also. By "sides" I was thinking...main character with kids vs. old woman, man and their daughter

Comment

Sounds like Splash.

I liked Unbreakable just because it was so amusing to see Willis act like he was catatonic for two hours.. It's one of the few movies where even I need subtitles to know what they're saying..

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                        By new owners you mean those who appear briefly at the end during session with medium, I suppose?
                        I didn't mean that they are also. By "sides" I was thinking...main character with kids vs. old woman, man and their daughter
                        Oh, in that case YES, they're all dead. All ghosts. Every last one of 'em.

Comment

That's for sure, but I was wondering if anyone suspected strongly, before this thing was revealed, that every one of them is. Because I for a long time couldn't decide if kidman + kids are ghosts, or perhaps other way around...but both of these camps?

Comment

Oh you mean WHILE the movie was playing, the FIRST time through? Yeah I figured out the old people were dead real quick... then it was only a small step to realize that if Nicole and kids can see/hear/touch the dead people... EEK!

Comment

Well, not so obvious remembering Sixth sense (ok, they weren't touching there...but I don't remember much of it in signs also...)

And actually I thought initially other way around: Nicole and kids are dead, and old people just have gift/don't have a place to live/are willing to play this all for the sake and sanity of ghosts...but soon I started to have doubts

Comment

Working...
                              X