Almost perfect source component.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost perfect source component.

Liked the variable pre-out for connection to stereo power amp, and the possiblity to connect digitally to active DSP loudspeakers at a later date.

Expensive. But there should be more of these type of products available from other manufacturers, within a few years.

KvH you ever tried one of these?

Can't say I've heard it..

The waters are way too troubled to spend that much on a DVD player right now. It doesn't even play SACDs! I would wait until the high definition formats have been decided upon, and then spend. I can actually remember when our store had both HiFi Beta AND VHS decks and both were over $1000 (this was before I worked there.) That price was halved in a year or two, and VHS had taken the clear lead by then. Can you imagine what that $1500 could have done in 1982 if you had put it in the stock market instead of a hifi Betamax?

I spent quite a bit on my amps and speakers, but just can't bring myself to invest in a high end digital source component just yet. If I was to do so, I would have to get one of the Linn Unidisk players. Then again.. I have lots of LPs still.. Maybe that Linn Sondek..

Comment

Got a Export spec (Pal Secam Ntsc) Toploading Sony Betamax downstairs gathering dust

I'm going to wait a while till this format war is over / see where HTPC's / MCE end up. Once bitten.

Speaking of turntables (other than SL 1210), know of any Hi-fi ones that have a 33 /45 switch rather than doing the thing with the belt?

Comment

Muad'Dib, for those who remeber him, has a nice Linn amp powering a pair of Martin Logan Aeon speakers He loves his Linn amp.

I too would recommend waiting for the next gen to get sorted out before spending this kind of cash on a video player. Though for a DVD player it's nice ... sans the lack of SACD support.

Though I'm waiting for DTS-HD to hit on Blu-ray/HD-DVD. DTS-HD is a lossless audio CODEC for the next gen players. Coupled with a 25-100 GB capacity you could make a lossless copy of the masters for a performance or recording. Now THAT will be true fidelity matched only by sitting in the audience of a live performance.

Can't wait.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yep i'm gonna put my non smoking money in a jar, and stick with my Nad / Dynaudio system, till i have enough to splash out.

DTS-HD sounds interesting. I thought they were set on using MLP.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff
            Yep i'm gonna put my non smoking money in a jar, and stick with my Nad / Dynaudio system, till i have enough to splash out.

DTS-HD sounds interesting. I thought they were set on using MLP.
            THere are several audio formats planned for both Blu-ray and HD-DVD. DTS-HD is considered a "optional" format, meaning not all players are required to suport it. I haven't seen MLP on any of the next gen specs.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I wish they would move away from a bare 5 1/4" optical disc, and use something similar in format (size) to a minidisc / UMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff
                I wish they would move away from a bare 5 1/4" optical disc, and use something similar in format (size) to a minidisc / UMD.

If they did they would have to spend much more on new packaging and would prob wind up with less storage then they do now due to a pyshical size. you have to figure that a 5 1/4 HDDVD is supposted to hold 100GB of info..a minidisc/umd would be stuck at half that.
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Probably even less.
                  While CDs were 650MB, MiniDiscs were 150MB.
                  "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Working...
                  X