Anyone Tried This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Tried This?

My PCs power supply has a problem on he 3.3v rail, dropping at times to as little as 2.5v and crashing XP. Plan to get a new one but in the meantime need to get some work done. Have a few non P4 power supplies lying around. what if I use a second power supply to supply the ATX connector and use the current one to power the drives and the P4 connector? Is that possible. Also anyone has experience with the skyhawk GM620SC power supply? Planning to get one.

JTV

I don't know that supply, but you'll be totally fine using a second PSU to power your drives and fans and whatnot. If it's an ATX supply you'll have to hotwire the ATX control wire.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks. How do I do that?

JTV

Comment

Ok, just did a search, shorting the green lead with any black lead on the ATX connector is said to do the trick correct?

JTV

Comment

that should be it.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

You can use a Molex to P4 Adapter, or fashion one from the (P4-ready) Old PSU.

Cut the P4 lead from the old PSU, and Taps into the +12V lead and grounds of the PSU (from a Molex or whatever), this should get you going semi-permanently.
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
            X