Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVI-D to VGA adapters

Are they even available?

The reason I ask, is that at work I got an IBM thinkpad with a docking station that has one DVI-D andone VGA, and it supports dual monitors.

Both of my monitors are analog and for the life of my cannot find a DVI-D to VGA adapter or converter!!!!!

Do any of you have experience in this field? If you have any comments or suggestion please let me know.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Elie

Never heard about them...so even if they exist, must be expensive as hell... (mainly from rarity; the thing that they need some electronics inside would play little part in price I gather)

edit: but after posting I've looked at your sig...why not just buy monitors with DVI-D?
    Last edited by Nowhere; 20 July 2005, 11:46.

Comment

LOL, I wish!! My sig. is my video NLE workstation at home, now at work is another story, very cheap company hehe

so I gotta make due with one I have.

Thanks,
      Elie

Comment

Err, doesn't pretty much any modern video card come delivered with such an adapter, to use your DVI as a second analog connector ?
        Asus even includes them in the lowend products, like the 9250.

edit: I was referring to something like this,
        Last edited by Admiral; 20 July 2005, 11:51.

Comment

Admiral: but connectors on such card are DVI-I (adapter is mostly physical link between two types of connectors here). With DVI-D that's another story...

Comment

see my edit in the previous post, maybe I got it right now

Comment

But you weren't reffering to something "like this" (assuming the "like this" thing is what Elie wants, no time to check)

Comment

Nope, going to VGA requires analog on the DVI port (DVI-I). DVI-D is digital only.
                He'd need a converter box with a DVI receiver and then a DAC for output and other control logic. Those are expensive and you're limited to SXGA resolution (1280x1024) max... for example http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/40dv-05300.htm or http://www.networktechinc.com/dvi-vga.html

Comment

...and as I suspected it's cheaper to buy a monitor...

Comment

I suspect that the "this" link Admiral provided in his edit... would probably work.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks guys for the help, actually Rylan's links is exactly what I was looking for.

Didn't realize that the cost of the converter is the same as a digital monitor LOL

Regards,
                      Elie

Comment

Working...
                      X