Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free NTL channels...and how to keep them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free NTL channels...and how to keep them?

NTL just replaced my cable box. Apparently their systems are down for at least 24 hours, so I have all channels until they can reprogram it (I don't normally have any premium channels, just the family pack).

So, if someone wanted to prevent the loss of channels when NTL gets its systems back up, could it be done, and how?
    FT.

Easy.
    Just tell them you want to keep them.
    They will let you.

(For a small fee, that is.. )

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Depends on the type of cable, but in general if it's a modern system then no - just about everything is controlled on the other end nowadays.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

When I worked at Telewest with the older style analogue CATV, the boxes received everything by default and had to be told what NOT to let you see. There was a small black market in Technician's boxes that would be enabled for everything and could be swapped for a small fee in the dark corners of your local pub.

You might be able to get around a reprogram by disconnecting your box when the 24hrs are up, however it might just connect and request an update on its own.
        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

If the programming is done on the box.
          Borrow a box from someone who has the same service as you.
          Wait 48 hours and then return the borrowed box and replace it with yours.

Personaly, I doubt it will work, but what the heck....
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Problem is that the digital boxes get their programming on a regular basis.

You might luck out by fiddling for a day, or a week, or even a month. But the next time a full push happens, you're SOL.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

When I got my HD box for my new TV, I had HBOHD for less then 24 hours, then again I wasn't a subscriber....
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

A little googling reveals they regularly update the smartcard overnight - just need to stop it being updated somehow. And there's these things called 'funcards' and programmers for them apparently
                FT.

Comment

Working...
                X