Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reinstall going very wrong at some point...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstall going very wrong at some point...

Ok, so tomorrow I'm LOGGING this process.

I reinstall Windows XP, and at SOME POINT in the process things go HORRIBLY WRONG and the machine starts running slow, like dog shit mixed with molasses.

It happened around the same time I installed the Adobe Creative Suite 2, although none of that is currently running. LOTS of service resources being used though, going to have to seriously monitor this next time.

THANK GOD FOR GHOST.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Good, faithfull Norton Ghost. :sigh: I use to defrag hard drives with it. Good times. Good times. Is there a good alternative since Norton sucks?

Comment

hum, there WAS Partition Magic until they've been bought by Symantec...

I'm playing with Partition Imager (Paragon/7Tools). It's OK. I wish I could tell it to do various things instead of having to do them one by one and also that (as with all backup software) it supported other formats than its own...

Comment

Actually I've been playing with Acronis lately. A very capable successor to the "old" Norton... they have utilities, disk cloning, etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Do they have product activation? Please type "no".

Comment

I was making coffe today and at some point the watter boiled, the watter almost got over at some point but everything turned out fine in the end. Thank good for sugar and glass ceramic cookers .

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
              I was making coffe today and at some point the watter boiled, the watter almost got over at some point but everything turned out fine in the end. Thank good for sugar and glass ceramic cookers .
              Thanks for the sarcasm.

I was trying to vent. I've redone the machine several times in the past few days. SOMETHING in the install process keeps borking it up. We'll find out what today, since I'll do the whole "one thing, reboot" cycle.

Comment

*.adobe
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Well it MIGHT have been down to Adobe. After spending some time getting Version Cue to NOT load at boot time, and trying to excise as much of the license management as possible (4 separate copies of the adobeLM process run in the background with Photoshop!), the machine seems to be back to normal. Odd.

Comment

I wonder if it would be possible to have a class action suit against the damned DRM / license manager companies for stealing our CPU cycles and electricity?

- Steve

Comment

Question:

when i reinstall xp so it wont save files and programs will it wipe my partition as well with all my files or will it leave it be?

I have my hard drive partitioned and all saved files are on my D drive..
                      www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

it should wipe the entire partition to where xp is going to be installed.
                        It won't touch any other partitions.

It MAY wipe what is going to be the C: partition, but any other logical partition is ok.

edit : drive to partion on two counts. bad choice of words corrected.
                        Last edited by Evildead666; 6 February 2008, 17:41.
                        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Just make sure that the partition to be installed is the right one.
                          I've had the installer change drive letters on me so don't go just by that.

Make sure via the free space or drive size that the install destination is the right one.

edit : same again. drive instead of partion on one count.
                          Last edited by Evildead666; 6 February 2008, 17:39.
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

the edits make it look creepy, but they're there in case anyone saw the original postings

Comment

Two alternatives.

Paragon Software Hard Disk Manager 2008 Suite, $50 USD MSRP: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-personal/

Drive Image XML (freeware): http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

Drive Image XML also has a BartPE/UBCD4win plugin, also free.

We use Paragon at work for our partitioning needs and it works very well. I have used Drive Image XML for personal stuff and have had no issues either. Get Data Back (a free to try, but pay if it works data recovery program) has been a huge lifesaver for me in the past. It also has a BartPE/UBCD4win plug in with the same free/pay system.
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X