Battlefield Band-Aids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield Band-Aids

Apparently shrimp are better for more than just cocktails...

[...] scientists have created a bandage that is actually able to clot a bullet wound in less than a minute. The bandages are laced with a mixture of ground shrimp shells and vinegar, a concoction that has been found to clot blood instantly. The key ingredient in the shrimp shells is called chitosan.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Then there is the liquid-armor tech proposed for US forces. It's a mix of Kevlar and an STF (shear thickening fluid).

As soon as it senses penetration of its outer layters the surrounding area solidifies to resist penetration. Once the shockwave dissipates it then softens again. You can't even pepetrate the fabric with an ice pick.

Shear thickening fluids work a bit like a water-cornstarch mix. If you remember playing with this as a kid you'll know that as long as you stir it slowly it's a fluid, but if you move quicly it stiffens to the point where it appears solid. The STF's they're working on for liquid armor have a much higher level of this property.

Some estimate it could be ready in 1-2 years.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 July 2005, 09:45.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Will it resist railgun?

But serious: I could see use for such bandages/plaster not only in war...(one of recent days (yes, whole): why this damn thumb won't stop bleeding...)

Comment

Yeah, I've read some brief overviews of that material Doc. All in all, some interesting applications that are emerging.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
        X