Driver Issues P650 re-boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver Issues P650 re-boots

Hey guys sorry to start a whole new thread for this it's been a while since I've been around and I'm having probs with re-boots in the rig I set up at church

here's the problem:
    when I start up, the computer runs through the usual steps and loads WinXP PRO. Typically from about the time the log on screen appears until I select a user and the settings begin to load there is a "click" the screen goes black and the system re-boots. The work around I am currently using is to log on as fast as possible and eventually it will load the settings and things work ok but I notice sometimes the system recource usage is extremely high.

Windows has prompted me that the error occurs due to a video driver issue to date I have tried to update the driver and unfortunately I am unsure what build or if I updated correctly I have not yet updated to the brand new drivers 05/10/05 but I will attempt that tonight.

Here's the system info:
    It is a homebrew ASUS P4P800-VM Mobo, Intel 2.4 Ghz P4 Northwood 800mhz, 1Gig DDR 400 Geil RAM, WD Raptor SATA 37gig, Matrox P650, Sound Blaster Audigy2 Platinum, Sony DVD Dual format writer. Running Win XP Pro w/sp1 updated to SP2... Unfortunately again I don't have driver build info here at home for each but when I work on this tonight around 6pm PST I can provide that info.

Once again I'm sorry to start a whole new thread on this if the info I need is in another thread feel free to post a link and let me know where in that thread to find the info or of course to leave a link to wherever the info can be found.

thanks in advance for your help,
    -Jutai
    -Chris K.

Is WinXP freshly installed on the computer or perhaps it's been a while, with another video card?

Comment

Also do you have a fairly late drivers?

Also do you have more than one monitor.

I recommend also official tech support forum on http://forum.matrox.com/mga .

Comment

Is it definitely the monitor that clicks? Try using F8 just after the ram count and going into safe mode, where you probably get some peace to update the drivers. The drivers that WinXP / windowsupdate gave to my P650 were unstable too, but it has been fine after i put the ones from Matrox ftp on.

As with any pc these days, I would urge that you need to add anti-spyware (spybot = free) and anti-virus (is AVG still free?) and a router if on broadband, firewall if on dial-up.

Btw that's a hugely powerful pc for the Church organ player to check her hotmails on!

Comment

I am using 2 monitors and have established it is an issue with the second display... don't get me wrong the whole system re-boots but when the second display is disconnected there is no problem, additionally I have used a different display for the second monitor and the problem persists. so the second dispaly is the problem I updated to the lastes drivers so beyond that any suggestions... hopefully not re-install widows I hate doing that.

thanks
          -jutai
          -Chris K.

Comment

Well I noticed that when you're installing XP SP2 to computer with matrox Parhelia from SP2 integrated CD (retail or slipstreamed), the computer crashes with a BSOD when installing devices.

Solution was to disconnect one display, install Windows, install .NET, display drivers, configure monitors and then connect 2nd monitor.

Comment

Working...
            X