• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me Want!!

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I don't get one thing - for 2D display for all those pro video editing people, is everyone stuck with the ATI Rage XL? There don't seem to be high-end PCI-X cards out there...would using smthn like the Matrox Axio replace that? Because I really don't get it, otherwise...who would want to drive a big professional monitor from an 8MB ATI?
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Quite a few editors are using Matrox P-cards because of the ability to use either triplehead or 2 displays plus PureVideo/DVDMAX output to an S-video production monitor for previews. For PCIe Matrox also has the APVe which can do SD capture & HDTV output.

Given the need to use something else I'd probably go with an ATI FireGL or an NVIDIA Quadro FX until either company comes out with a pro-quality card with HDTV output.

Axio is a canned editing box with a ton of high-end effects. With price tags of $7500 for SD and $11,500 for HD they're not exactly even prosumer units.

I can't see to many WEVA members getting these unless they have a rather busy studio, and besides the cost in most edits less is more; meaning too many effects distract rather than enhance.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 July 2005, 00:39.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

For the original topic:

It's... a... COMPAQ, CIRCA 1995!

(J/K, looks cool!)

----------------------

For Lecter:

Didn't you see that Matrox announced a G550 in PCI-X just a couple days ago? It's PCI-X x1, to be sure, but it fits in the slot.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Me want -> http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8qw.html (has a PCi express 16 slot and a 4x slot) and 3 PCI-X thrown in.

Wow can add another 4 cpus later to make it 8 way
          Last edited by Fluff; 15 July 2005, 05:47.

Comment

I'm still not clarified about this...the mobo has PCI-X, not PCI-Express (the G550 is 1x PCI-Express, for those little slots that come with new mobos)...since when are these two standards compatible?
            All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

You can put a PCI Express 1x in a PCI Express x16 or x4 slot. PCI-Express is a serial interface.

PCI-X is somethines compatible with PCI they are both parallell interfaces.

The Tyan board I kinked could take a Geforce 7800GTX for example. Not sure about SLI though.

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
                I'm still not clarified about this...the mobo has PCI-X, not PCI-Express (the G550 is 1x PCI-Express, for those little slots that come with new mobos)...since when are these two standards compatible?
                I'm confused about your post. The motherboard shows both PCI-X and PCI-E slots.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Did I miss something? I don't see any PCI-e slots on that board, just 4 PCI-X.

Comment

My bad, I posted a link, to a 8 socket 940 Tyan Board in post #5 with PCI Express x16 slots. I take it you were referring to Doc's Post #1

Comment

Well - at least we're back to the days when you can spend $20k on a PC again

Actually - lots more. The motherboard is $1500 (if it's anywhere near the S4882).
                      This add-on is probably in the $1000 range.
                      8x$2600 for Opteron 875s (gotta have dual-core, after all).
                      Of course, you'd have to max out on RAM - 128 GB. So add in 32x$1160 for 4G modules (slow and non-ECC, but what can you do?)
                      So here we are with roughly $60k - and we still need a hard drive. (maybe not with 128G RAM)

This might be too expensive for me

- Steve

Comment

The 8-way Tyan I think has no PCIe and you're stuck with Matrox Parhelia PCI for 600$ - 64-bit 66MHz PCI or any other card.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                          The 8-way Tyan I think has no PCIe and you're stuck with Matrox Parhelia PCI for 600$ - 64-bit 66MHz PCI or any other card.
                          There is a small pic of the board. Only limitation is lack of funds and maybe SLI.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X