What does a black hole look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does a black hole look like?

New research pictures the distortions caused by a spinning black hole.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I think they forgot the little detail of matter sucked out of Jupiter and falling onto black hole

Comment

Well, yeah... the article is full of "well a black hole like this would never exist but if it DID this is what it would look like if it DIDN'T rip apart the entire solar system which it would but IF IT DIDN'T..."
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
        Well, yeah... the article is full of "well a black hole like this would never exist but if it DID this is what it would look like if it DIDN'T rip apart the entire solar system which it would but IF IT DIDN'T..."
        Actually, a black hole in a stable orbit does not act like a space "vacuum cleaner" any more than any other stellar object, if the sun would become a black hole it wouldn’t start sucking in planets etc...

A black hole travelling through a solar system wouldn’t be anymore dangerous than a sun or planet in the same mass category....
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
          Actually, a black hole in a stable orbit does not act like a space "vacuum cleaner" any more than any other stellar object, if the sun would become a black hole it wouldn’t start sucking in planets etc...

A black hole travelling through a solar system wouldn’t be anymore dangerous than a sun or planet in the same mass category....
          Right. They're saying "well this is a picture of a black hole with the same mass as our sun".

If an object with the same mass as our sun passed through our solar system... it'd be MESSY.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

...and of course the one simulated has the mass of Sun. And...putting something that massive on the orbit of Jupiter would rip Solar System apart...

edit: gotta type quicker...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              Right. They're saying "well this is a picture of a black hole with the same mass as our sun".

If an object with the same mass as our sun passed through our solar system... it'd be MESSY.
              Sure, but whatever sun or black hole would make no diffrence
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Black Hole Sun?
                “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Uhmmm...and what about the supernova required to produce black hole? That would make a difference to Solar System, I reckon...

Comment

Well actually, singularities are quite a bit more worrisome, when you think about it.

A singularity with the mass of Jupiter would be what, the size of a golf ball? Hrm.

Comment

What's the difference what size it is, outcome the same... (I assume you're thinking about some mini black hole of small mass hitting the Sun and turning it into black hole? No impossible supernova needed...)

Comment

No, I'm more thinking that somehow, some black hole with the same density as our sun has somehow passed just inside the orbit of Jupiter. I'm pretty sure it would just utterly fvck the orbits of every planet in the system... right?

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was also talking about partly...
                          (but you're confused somehow, every black hole has infinite density )

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
                            Black Hole Sun?

Oh won't you come......

Apolligies to STP
                            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Guys: black holes do not have to be that massive. The particle accelerator boys are working on creating mini-black holes for research as we speak.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                              X