Help with Eizo monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Eizo monitor

I 've got an Eizo T962 21" CRT monitor 2nd hand. The problem is that there is an ultra annoying hissing continous noise coming from inside the monitor, just like a HD seeking.

This is not Matrox related and I have tried the monitor with different GFX cards (including several Matrox, ATI and NVidia) and different machines (running all sorts of OSes). The noise is still there. I've also found that the volume and the pitch of the noise changes when I change resolutions. There are some resolutions with more noise than others. The effect does not necessarily get worse as the frequencies get higher.

Has anyone else encountered such a problem with a monitor ? I am not sure what to expect from such a big CRT monitor but an older Eizo model (F77 21") was practically silent.

Please help or I 'll be forced to lsiten to Heavy Metal music while I am working !!!

Generally not good news.

It it was a constant high pitched noiseI would suspect the power supply. But I doubt it is that. Could be a cap or something.

Also there appears to be something called flyback squeal. Found a link on google.

Comment

Thanks Fluff,
      I googled a bit too and it seems like it's a flyback transformer resonation thing. I don't really feel brave enough to open the monitor myself so maybe it's better to get the 36.0 kgr beast and take it to a technician. There is an Eizo authorized technician in my city but I think he is way too expensive :-( I hope he doesn't ask more than the price of the monitor.

Comment

I would guess that "unathorized" technicians would do ok as well (of course there could be details with warranty or such in your case...)

Comment

Originally posted by gorg
          Thanks Fluff,
          I googled a bit too and it seems like it's a flyback transformer resonation thing. I don't really feel brave enough to open the monitor myself so maybe it's better to get the 36.0 kgr beast and take it to a technician. There is an Eizo authorized technician in my city but I think he is way too expensive :-( I hope he doesn't ask more than the price of the monitor.
          probably easier to move the technician to the screen. even though they're heavier, technicians usually come with legs that they can operate in an autonomous or semi-autonomous fashion. monitors do not have legs. period.

Comment

I spoke with the technician today. After telling him about the noise he said it is most certainly the transformer and that a new part would be required. The total costs (excluding me taking and getting the monitor from his place) would be about 170 EUR ($200)

Comment

Originally posted by gorg
              I 've got an Eizo T962 21" CRT monitor 2nd hand. The problem is that there is an ultra annoying hissing continous noise coming from inside the monitor, just like a HD seeking.

This is not Matrox related and I have tried the monitor with different GFX cards (including several Matrox, ATI and NVidia) and different machines (running all sorts of OSes). The noise is still there. I've also found that the volume and the pitch of the noise changes when I change resolutions. There are some resolutions with more noise than others. The effect does not necessarily get worse as the frequencies get higher.

Has anyone else encountered such a problem with a monitor ? I am not sure what to expect from such a big CRT monitor but an older Eizo model (F77 21") was practically silent.

Please help or I 'll be forced to lsiten to Heavy Metal music while I am working !!!
              How long have you had it. If you've just bought from a dealer you should still be able to return it. If you bought it private and it sold as seen theres nothing you can do.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

They usually carry 5 years warranty. If you can get the original invoice, tehre's a chance you could send it in for repair.

Then again, the T962 is probably not very recent...

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was about to take the monitor to the technician when, yesterday, the noise stopped !!!

I hope it stays that way.

Comment

Start saving your money now. It's unlikely that your monitor has all that long to live. Unless you got really lucky and that hissing sound was just it cooking an insect or something.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                    X