AMD Sempron 64 bits at 80 $

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sempron 64 bits at 80 $

Yes, 64 bits are cheaper than ever... but there isn't ANY 64 bits application.
    What happens?????

Originally posted by Mikele
    ... but there isn't ANY 64 bits application.
    What happens?????
    ??

edit: and besides I can get here cheapest Athlon64 cheaper than fastest 32bit Sempron...doubt the situation will change much...
    Last edited by Nowhere; 7 July 2005, 02:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikele
      Yes, 64 bits are cheaper than ever... but there isn't ANY 64 bits application.
      What happens?????

Uhm, why fuzzing so much over it?

We had 32bits cpu's in 1985, the first semi 32 bits (was really a mix of 16 % 32 bits) Consumers OS from MS was Windows 95 released in 1995!!

We still had tons of fun with our 32bit cpu's during those years despite runing them on 16bit os and apps
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

get out the microscope and count the bits

the intel series model numbers will be ending with a 1, as in 3x1 for the celerons and 5x1 for the P4's

the AMD ones I would have to look up first, but chances are they will plaster 64bit all over it somehow to make sure you know
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Socket 754 Semprons are essentially Athlon64 chips with parts of the L2 cache and 64-bit processing disabled, so it was pretty easy to do the changeover.

If the Semperon64 has SSE2-SSE3 like it's big brother it could well be more useful than you think.

Some multimedia software makers (NOT Ulead) will soon be requiring at least SSE2. This will specifically exclude AthlonXP and other non-SSE2 CPU's from running these programs. SSE3 requirements won't be too far down the road.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 July 2005, 13:43.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

My point is that non-SSE2, and even non-SSE3, CPU's are being passed up by software makers. AMD users will have to upgrade to a 64 bit core one way or the other, and soon, so they might as well go whole hog.

Also; 64 bit processing IS being taken into account by the multimedia developers, as is dual core.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X