Tool for folder security and encryption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool for folder security and encryption

I have an external hard drive that I shuttle between various locations. It contains a lot of sensitive and proprietary customer data that would be bad if it fell into the wrong hands.

I want to be more proactive than that idiot prof, who was posted about recently, which tried to scare his laptop's thief into returning the item with a bunch of bogus claims that the Secret Service was on the case.

What do you guys recommend / use to securly lock access to a folder or data drive?
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

One more thing...

I don't mind if it's not free.

Comment

NTFS Encryption?
      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

It's an external drive. Not all the PCs I'll be connecting to are XP Pro. I think Pro is required for NTFS Encryption, isn't it? And isn't NTFS encryption tied to the hardware key of the PC? I need something I can connect to multiple PCs.

Comment

it sounds more like you need a hardware type solution.
          there are a number of encryption programs - google SFS for one. but they require software to be installed on the host pc.

your easiest/cheapest method could just be zero compression encrypted zip files for customer data.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Yeah, I don't mind installing software on the PCs were I need to connect the drive. As long as it's compatible with both versions of XP, and 2003 server.

I don't what to manually manage zip files. I'd prefer a software tool that asks me for a password and seamlessly provides access to the files.

I'll look into SFS as you suggested.

Comment

Look into TrueCrypt. It can encrypt partitions on the fly. It's for 2000/2003/XP only right now. But it's open source, and appears to work very well. It will even display "alternative" partitions if you give it the wrong password.

Apparently you can carry the TrueCrypt program around on a USB key or such and it will work without having to actually install on the host PC.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

My vote also goes to Truecrypt. It can even create hidden encrypted volume inside visible one.

Comment

Another vote for TrueCrypt it's fast and easy and even safer then windows own encryption scheme EFS.
                  Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                  Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                  Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I just pulled sfs as a random google thing, never used it, TrueCrypt sounds interesting, wake me up when they have a nix and mac client.
                    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I have USED PGPDrive. It's part of the PGP Desktop suite. I have HEARD good things about Truecrypt.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

awesome guys, I'll look into these!

Comment

You can use EFS (Encrypted File System) built in to Win2k/XP Pro and take it elsewhere. You just have to copy your security certificate with you on a flash drive and/or floppy disk. And of course the other systems have to be Win2k/XP ....

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

That was discussed earlier in the thread. It's not XP Home compatible is it? I need to occasionally use XP Home.

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
                              That was discussed earlier in the thread. It's not XP Home compatible is it? I need to occasionally use XP Home.
                              I suppose not Typical Microsoft. You can use NTFS with XP Home, but not all the features.
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X