Noise of sound chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise of sound chip

I steadily hear some noise out of the onboard sound chip (sound max). Actually I can even "hear" my mouse if I move it about. Can I do anything against it? If not, will a seperate sound card help? I can't remember that I had this problem with the old computer with a Soundblaster 16.

Try muting the different inputs...

I've never had this much interfence, first had a AWE32, now using an onboard Realtek AC97.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Update: I just found the source of the noise: It came from the line-in plug of the TV-card. Unplugging the cable connecting TV-card and the sound chip removed the noise. But it is still unnormal, right?

Comment

Well, most of the circuitry on soundcards (and then esp. onboard things) are not very well isolated... Hence they are very susceptible to interference; when this happens on the line in, it is a amplified, and can be very noticable...

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Thanks for the explaination, Jörg

Comment

I'd say that was pretty normal. If that wire wasn't well shielded, then it basically acted as an antenna to pick up all the EM noise and dump it into your line in.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

So the cable provided by the TV-card producer (TerraTec) is of bad quality. That also explains why I never got clear sounds when watching TV.

Comment

Just curious: is the sound chip located close to the PSU, a fan or a disk?
                Or is the cable you use (for TV) passing close to one of these?

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

The cable connecting TV line-out and sound chip line-in is outside the computer case.

Too close to PGS: don't know where it locates. To fan or disk: no.

Comment

Working...
                  X