Freemail provider???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freemail provider???

I have problems with my email provider: They have a size-limit (about 6MB) for attachments.
    Who is now the best freemail provider? For me important:
    1. most reliable (short delay, quick access everywhere)
    2. no attached ads in mails
    3. allows large size attachments (my clients have sometimes ppt files over 10MB)

Chaoliang

Yahoo Mail works very well. It is only $20 U.S. a year. 2GB storage, 20MB attachments, no taglines, no graphical ads, pop3,etc . . . I am sure some peope will dissent on this. What about Google Mail? I assume that you have tried them already.

http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/

Comment

Yahoo!: I still like to get email service free, if the service is good enough.
      Gmail: I must keep the mails on my hdd. I heard that Gmail does not allow users to download their mails, at least not in the free version.

Comment

Yahoo does do everything you need at least and it is cheap. Though I have not used the pay version, they do have archiving functions where emails can be pulled into Outlook Express using eml files. This can also be done with Thunderbird with a very minor extension.

Perhaps keep Yahoo low on your list of choices. I can't see you getting all you want with no ads. They provider has to make money somehow.

Comment

isnt netscape mail still free?
          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by chaoliang
            Yahoo!: I still like to get email service free, if the service is good enough.
            Gmail: I must keep the mails on my hdd. I heard that Gmail does not allow users to download their mails, at least not in the free version.
            If I'm not mistaken there is a way to download mail from Gmail the same as you would with POP3. Only problem I can see for you is that there is a 10mb limit on total message size.
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Yeppers, GMail lets you download but that message size limitation is a b***h.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

GMail is the best for me.

Comment

So, your client cannot compress and split the file in either rar or zip format?

Comment

I really do have to say, you get what you pay for.
                    Have you considered your own domain name and getting your own mail hosting?
                    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Well I wanted to say that but I didn't want to be called a troll.

I guess that if the Administrator already said it, I can agree.

I've always believed in the adage that there's a "cost of doing business". We've been amazingly lucky in finding customers that were willing to help subsidize our company's growth, but we've had to reinvest to help our company grow too.

My business partner was freaking out when we spent around $20k on servers but they've managed to pay for themselves now that we're charging customers for various ISP related services.

Having your own domain makes you look much more professional too.
                      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I've looked about and realized that you people are right: I can't get those I want for free. I'm considering seriously getting a non-free acount. Actually I think it's OK to pay something for a reliable mail service. The German provider "Web.de" has virtually everything I need for the moment (50MB mail size, sms message for new coming mails, IMAP account and so on), but it's too expensive for me (more than 5 dollars per month).
                        I forget to mention that IMAP is also relatively important, but not a must, for me. I'm not sure if Yahoo supports it. I didn't see they mention it. Well, I can also live without it.

High_Jumbllama: Most of my clients are not familiar with file manipulations.

Sasq/schmosef: I've never tried own domain name and mail hosting since I didn't really need it till now. But I suppose that I have to deal with it in the near future. Thanks for the suggestion.
                        Last edited by chaoliang; 6 July 2005, 00:43.

Comment

Well, Gmail could be called IMAP in a browser window... (and yes, it has acces through POP3)

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                            Well, Gmail could be called IMAP in a browser window... (and yes, it has acces through POP3)
                            Nowhere, then please use gmail.
                            I am getting tired of your bounced email from murc appearing in my admin box
                            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Hmm...I'll look into it, thanks for notyfying me.

edit: interestingly, I see no apparent reason why it happens. Oh well, I'll move MURC notifications to my now main account (Gmail) and we'll see if that will help...
                              Last edited by Nowhere; 6 July 2005, 02:51.

Comment

Working...
                              X