how do I know if I broke my toe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do I know if I broke my toe?

ok, this is going to seem like a weird question.

a couple of hours ago I accidentaly kicked the side of a barbell. I wasn't wearing shoes or socks.

When it happend I heard some of the joints in my foot crack, kind of like when I crack my knuckles. I crack my toes sometimes so I didn't think anything of it. It stung for a few moments then went away. I checked and I seemed to have full movement in my toes.

I forgot about it until a few minutes ago when I happened to look at my feet and I noticed that one toe was bruised at the top joint. It doesn't hurt, just feels a little numb. I have to say that I have a pretty high tollerance for pain. I still have full movement and I can walk without limping.

If I had my camera handy I'd take a pic.

Anyway, should I be worried that I broke my toe or is it most likely just a bruise?
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

It sounds like it's more of soft tissue bruising than a fracture. Nevertheless the treatment would be the same i.e. let it get better on its own.

Comment

Ice might help. And a good light and/or stowing the thing under the bed next time.

It really seems to heighten the impact when it's unsuspected. If you meant to kick the thing you'd probably be alright.

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
        Nevertheless the treatment would be the same i.e. let it get better on its own.
        If I broke it wouldn't I need to get it xrayed and possilbly specially set? I'm asking because I don't want to kill my day getting this looked at/taken care of if it's just a bruise.

Yeah, I'm sure if I meant to kick it I'd be fine. I just kind of walked into the side of it without noticing.

Comment

My wife broek her toe about a month ago, it was xrayed and then bound with tape for 2 weeks.

Was your accident your fault, if not call claim-here-for-easy-money-(after-our-cut-of-course)
          Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Hey Yeah!

I should sue somebody!

Seriously, when your wife broke her toe was she in a lot of pain? Did she know it was broken?

I just don't want waste my day getting this looked at if it's nothing. I guess you could say that I'm the reverse of a hypochondriac.

Comment

I have to say that I'm a little bit annoyed because I just came off 2 weeks with a pulled neck muscle that prevent me from working out.

Last night was the first time in a while that I was lifting weights. I was being so cautious about what I was lifting too. Then, as I was walking across the room, I didn't give myself as much clearance as I should have from my EZ-Curl bar and managed to smack my foot against a 10 point weight. So annoying!

I hope it doesn't prevent me from using my exercise bike or lifting weights like my last injury did.

Comment

Even if it is broken, they can't do anything for it, except maybe strap it to the adjacent toe.
                FT.

Comment

Basically true as long as the fracture isn't displaced, and that more often happens with the big toe.

That said you most definitely would know if it were broken: it would hurt like HELL from the first second and wouldn't slow down. I know because I've done it

Just take some anti-inflammatories (motrin is good), ice it and watch it carefully. At the first sign that the swlling is increasing or it's discoloration is worsening get to your doctor & give him a look.

It's easier to develop complications than you think because the circulation in the leg & foot isn't as good in other parts of the body, and if you're a diabetic it can really go south. Don't laugh, a lot of people are undiagnosed diabetics.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks guys. It really doesn't hurt at all. It's just a little stiff and numb, but I have full motion and have no trouble walking.

I'll be interested to see what colour it is when I get home tonight. This morning it seemed to be darkening.

Comment

well... the only reason to really strap it to the toe next to it was if it was a complete break. if it was just a fracture, you should be good if you treat it well and don't put undue stress on it. if it has signs/symptoms of it having a complete break (ie, you can manipulate the toe in non-normal ways) then you might consider going to a doctor, but... it dunno.

it's a toe, there isn't a whole lot that they can do. the most they do is tape it to another toe until it sets again. if it doesn't set exactly right it won't cause many problems.

besides, you have 10 of them. even if one were to magically fall off, you still have 9 others
                      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Comment

Look up some references on anatomy and just use your fingers to feel around and massage the toe, you should be able to figure out pretty quick if anything's actually busted or if it's just a bruise.

Comment

My son fractured his toe in two places a few weeks ago. He fell off of a skateboard. He complained of some mild pain and there was bruising for sure. We took him to his doctor and they told him if it still hurts in a few days, bring him back and they will x-ray it. 1-2 weeks go by and he was still complaining so we took him back. They found two fractures but told us that they were both healing on their own and to take it easy. They said if the fractures were worse or not healing then they might be worried about nerve damage later on or other possible problems that can surface with a big toe break. Anyway, just more info than anything else.
                            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys.

The toe in my case is in the "ring" position on my left foot. The truth is that this doesn't really hurt. It's just a little stiff. I'm sure it'll be fine. I just took my socks off and it seems slowen and bruised. But again, it doesn't hurt.

You've all reassured me that I have nothing to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                              X