Did i just kill my CPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did i just kill my CPU?

Ugh I'm still having problems with my newish system. I noticed a couple days ago that when I ran CPU-ID and it was telling me that my system was running only at 1125 Mhz. I was a bit perplexed as why I was running so slow...then I noticed that my Multiplier was set at 5x instead of 11x . That explained why I was running so slow. I went into the BIOS to check and noticed it was set to start up default so I forced it to 11x. i rebooted into windows and checked CPU-ID and I was still stuck with 5x multiplier for some reason. I had Clockgen installed and it was showing that it was set at 11x at start up, but was set at 5x for some reason. I tried to force it to 11x but the computer would just crash. So the next time I booted back up I went to 6x worked ok then went to 10x then I heard the PC speaker go beep and the system crashed on me...and when I went to reboot...it wouldnt even get into the BIOS. I checked the LCD setup that MSI has with their motherboards and it had all 4 red lights lit up, which means that the CPU is damaged or not installed properly.

The board in question is MSI KN8 Deluxe SLI with a Althlon64 3500+ cpu.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Clear the CMOS and reboot.

DJ

Comment

Did that and its still not working...ugh

I guess I'll have to borrow my old man's 3500+ to test it.

Comment

Unless you overvolted the puppy, I'd be VERY VERY surprised if you destroyed the CPU. I've done all sorts of nasty things to CPUs (used to be my job), and running them too fast never hurt them, it just stopped them from running. Overvolting? Sure. Overheating? Possible.

You probably just have a combination of high multiplier * high FSB. Clear the CMOS thoroughly, and maybe reseat the CPU just in case you knocked it.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

My old MSI boards would 'die' sometimes. To get it back again would involve a proper cmos reset *with the psu unplugged*.

Good luck!
          FT.

Comment

Yes, for instance ECS K7S5A survived battery change without loosing the clock and date. Unplug the PSU and set jumper in clear CMOS for a few minutes. I've heard removing battery and unplugging PSU overnight also helped in some cases.

Comment

My amd64 3000+ does the same thing.
              Try to run CPU-ID and look at it while you run something else. I did that and the numbers in CPI-ID (in my case CPU-Z) will change between the different multipliers.
              It's the cool&quit thing kicking in.

Running with x5 multiplier:

and with x9 multiplier:

Mine is overclocked 25% and running fine.
              Laptops: ASUS G750JM: Intel Core i7 4700HQ, 8GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Nvidia GTX 860M, 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 1 x WD 750 GB HDD, 17,3" FHD Screen, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
              ASUS Vivobook S400CA: Intel Core i5 3317U (1,7-2,6 GHz), 8 GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Intel HD4000, 1 x 500GB HDD, 14" touch-screen (1366x768), Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Comment

Lots of MSI boards have that problem. I had two MSI boards in a row (one was a duallie P3 and the other a SiS745 Ultra) and they BOTH did that - they'd decide not to boot and would need a "serious" CMOS purge to get reset... and after that they'd be fine. I think it's a "feature" (yeah, right).

But as always, if you're having trouble the solution to the problem is simple - send the hardware to me. Put it in a static bag, then in a padded container, and send it here. I'll take care of it.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by JTD
                  My amd64 3000+ does the same thing.
                  Try to run CPU-ID and look at it while you run something else. I did that and the numbers in CPI-ID (in my case CPU-Z) will change between the different multipliers.
                  It's the cool&quit thing kicking in.
                  I had quite and cool disabled in the BIOS IIRC

I have the PSU and the battery disconnected at the moment. I tried reseting the BIOS with the button on the board for 30 seconds with the PSU not plugged in and no change with the LED indicators in the back

Edit:

I had the Battery and PSU dissconnected for 20 minutes with no change in the LEDs out back

I pulled the CPU last night and reseated it..and that didnt change anything either. I even tried to boot it without the CPU installed and It didnt do anything (was expecting to get to POST in the least)

I guess the next thing is to try pulling the CPU and trying in my Old Man's PC, if it works..time for ANOTHER motherboard..ugh

Edit 2: I stopped over my parents (got lunch out of the deal too!) and put in my 3500+ in my old mans system and it booted no problem. I'm starting to wonder if my Mad Dog PSU from Compusa is the problem here. My Asus Board went tits up and now the MSI board. I'm going to pull out of from under the desk and take a close look at the board to see if I can see anything ****ed up on it. I've had nothing but trouble with this new system since I put it together this past Janaury.
                  Last edited by GT98; 1 July 2005, 11:25.

Comment

Hey someones trying to win my Lemon tital.

MSI boards went through a sucky period and it looks like it's continuing.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                      Hey someones trying to win my Lemon tital.
                      That would be gurm, I've yet to see someone go through more bad hardware than him.
                      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

MSI = More Shit Inside?

Comment

I see you have a Radeon X800XL, like me. You'res seems to be PCIe tho, whereas mine is AGP.

I have a new system, waiting for Crossfire.

My old system, in my sig, was great. I then bought a X800XL, and just plugged it in.
                          My CPU fsb was permanently stuck at 100MHz, no matter what i did.
                          12x200 inthe bios, always came up at 1200MHz, i ended up at 22.5x200 bios, 2250MHz real.

I believe that the Radeons pull their major power from the AGP/PCIe socket, whereas Nvidia pulls the majority of power from the extra power connector if possible or available/needed.
                          I also believe that some boards have difficulty powering through the AGP/PCIe such demanding cards.
                          I have never had an MSI, but the K7NNXP was rock stable, on 6 phase power (extra card thingy), and it all went crap as soon as the Radeon was put in.

Now i have a K8NSC-939 NF250Gb chipset A64.3500+ 90nm, and the radeon now runs fine, 445/560.
                          At 450 the PC doesn't boot very well at all, it takes 4-5 reboots to get into windows, and that was because ATiTool had reset the Radeon to default clocks. 445/560 is my sweet spot.
                          Anyone know of any Bios Volt mods for Radeon X800XL's?

Just check your VGA clocks, could be that.

Jez
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
                          X