Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANy recomended Jabber only clients?

Any recomended Jabber only clients?

We have been previously using Exodus but apparently in some cases it causes an memory leak five parsecs wide. Any recomendations?

Psi, JAJC, Pandion

In that order (but that's my preference; if you're looking for something user friendly the order is reversed I think...(edit: to be honest the best in that regard is probably WPKontakt...but it's only available in Polish...(yep, Jabber's quite big in Poland)))

Oh, and miranda - it's jabber only if you'll leave only jabber plugin in it (and miranda is uber-memory-efficient) :>

Comment

Trillian can be made Jabber only in a manner similar to Miranda, but I think Jabber is only available to registered Pro users...
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

In case any one else was wondering:

FT.

Comment

I love their "millions of people are using Jabber for IM". They make it sound like they aren't a third-rate relatively unknown IM protocol.

It's cool, don't get me wrong, but it's no AIM replacement. LOL.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Pandion and Miranda are great though not much in the looks departments. I try to avoid the stupid complaints and comments that it is not what they're use to. Things have to be pretty. Trillian would be my choice except for the have to pay to use Jabber thing. Still looking . . . . I will try more of the suggestions later.

Edit:
            I had tried PSI and did not like it. I can't remeber the reason and the download links for JAJC do not work.
            Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 29 June 2005, 10:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              I love their "millions of people are using Jabber for IM". They make it sound like they aren't a third-rate relatively unknown IM protocol.

Well, "millions of" do use it (if you understand "millions" in stricly grammar way ). Probably Poland alone would account for that...

(but yeah, it is "third-rate relatively unknown IM protocol")

And, uhmm...what's AIM? What's ICQ? What's MSN? (from my perspective you could tell that THEY are third-rate relatively unknown IM protocols, with which kind Jabber (second-rate) can cooperate...)
              Last edited by Nowhere; 30 June 2005, 02:32.

Comment

I use miranda for all my chatting needs (ICQ, MSN, Jabber and even IRC -> I only visit #MURC at times). Earlier, I used Trillian, but it lacked some features.

While it isn't the best looking program, I love being able to manage everything with just one application. (still I'm not a hardcore chatter)

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                  Pandion and Miranda are great though not much in the looks departments. I try to avoid the stupid complaints and comments that it is not what they're use to. Things have to be pretty. Trillian would be my choice except for the have to pay to use Jabber thing. Still looking . . . . I will try more of the suggestions later.

Edit:
                  I had tried PSI and did not like it. I can't remeber the reason and the download links for JAJC do not work.
                  You can donwload JAJC from here (AFAIK trustworthy site). It's a PL edition, but all you have to do is delete file "polish.lng" from installation folder (I suggest before first launch ).

PS. Pandion bad looking? Hmm...for what kind of audience are you looking this client?

edit: if they like IRC, they may also like this (btw @VJ, interesting alternative to miranda in department of "all in one", huh? :> (apart from Jabber of course - I log in there, have acces to any IM I want...))
                  Last edited by Nowhere; 30 June 2005, 02:31.

Comment

I was liking Pandion for the first few days. then I came in one morning to find it consistently using 60%+ of the CPU. Now it does it every few days.

I may go back to JAJC.

Uberlad
                    -------------------------
                    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
                    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                      You can donwload JAJC from here (AFAIK trustworthy site). It's a PL edition, but all you have to do is delete file "polish.lng" from installation folder (I suggest before first launch ).

PS. Pandion bad looking? Hmm...for what kind of audience are you looking this client?

edit: if they like IRC, they may also like this (btw @VJ, interesting alternative to miranda in department of "all in one", huh? :> (apart from Jabber of course - I log in there, have acces to any IM I want...))
                      I did not say bad looking. It's just not pretty. It's plain. It seems to be the most in line with what we need anyway. I was more insulting the reaction of some of people's tendency to think like This is different. You have frighteneed and confused us. Grrr. .

Going to check out JAJC.
                      Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 30 June 2005, 06:58.

Comment

I see... (well, personally I love plain look)
                        But you know, I have some sort of sollution for you if Pandion is most in line but too plane. You see, there's a polish communicator based on Pandion but more "cool" (personally I hate that, but oh well...). I'll research the possibility of using EN language in it when I'll have time...

Comment

Pandion exhibited a seemingly similar resource leak now on a different machine.

Switching to JAJC on the affected machines first and then deploying to the rest after it is checked out.

Comment

We use Exodus. It works, even with SSL for connecting from home.
                            "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

Well Gurm, it changed a bit

Comment

Working...
                              X