Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD files anti-trust suit vs. Intel

Here we go.....

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

In a semi-related story AMD announces the Athlon 64 FX-57;

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 June 2005, 10:08.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I wonder what one of those large OEM's AMD is refering to? Could it be ... Dell? You'd think that after all the lawsuits that MS has faced that Intel would be smart enough not to do the same.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I wonder if AMD decided it was time to play their cards because the Dresden FAB is getting close to being operational and they can start pumping out enough chips. Anyone know?
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Dresden? Isn't that Fab30? That's been around for years, no?

Comment

Well Dell haven't got any plans in the near future too use AMD so they could be one of the naughty boys.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

No one is recommending AMD for video production either, check out Toms review regarding the stress test between the dual Core CPU's.
            CPU reviews, news and features, created for the hardcore PC enthusiast by the experts at Tom's Hardware.

I think AMD is loosing ground to Intel, and this lawsuite is a desperate attempt to gain creditability.

AMD's gaming CPU are awesome, unfortunatly that alone cannot sustain the company for so long.

Regards,
            Elie

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
              Dresden? Isn't that Fab30? That's been around for years, no?
              There already is a FAB30 but they are building FAB36 as well. This one is based aroui nd 65nano tech.
              Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
                No one is recommending AMD for video production either, check out Toms review regarding the stress test between the dual Core CPU's.
                CPU reviews, news and features, created for the hardcore PC enthusiast by the experts at Tom's Hardware.

I think AMD is loosing ground to Intel, and this lawsuite is a desperate attempt to gain creditability.

AMD's gaming CPU are awesome, unfortunatly that alone cannot sustain the company for so long.

Regards,
                Elie
                Tom's heavily biased so I wouldn't take too much notice of the reviews on that site.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

WHAAAAA !!!!!! it's not fair

They did this 4 years ago and the FTC just dismissed it a couple years ago.

Sure they make good processors but they don't offer a platform. If AMD wants to play the game they should be making their own chipsets instead counting on others to do that.
                  OEMs want a stable, consistant platform to work with........ Easier/lower Cost to build - Easier/ lower Cost to support.

Shite!!! We're out of the VIA based mobos should we switch over to the SiS or the nVidia based boards now......I don't care...just use whatever!!!!...Customer Support will sort it all out later....

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

well benchmarks don't lie unless he is fudging results...

While AMD is drastically ahead of Intel in the gaming arena, it's quite the opposite in areas like video/graphics production, which is a huge market right now.

So if you want a powerhouse workstation, the recommendation is alway Intel, it's got faster memory bandwidth and the architecture allows for faster rendering capabilites.

You should see my Dual XEONs render in after effects!!!
                    Actually the only AMD processor I liked from Sharky Extreme's review was the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ it rocked in almost every benchmark but probably worth over a grand.

Cheers,
                    Elie

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM
                      WHAAAAA !!!!!! it's not fair

Sure they make good processors but they don't offer a platform. If AMD wants to play the game they should be making their own chipsets instead counting on others to do that.
                      OEMs want a stable, consistant platform to work with........ Easier/lower Cost to build - Easier/ lower Cost to support.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!
                      I totally agree with you on this, I don't want to purchase AMD based servers, with Nvidia or SIS or even VIA (yuck) chipsets for my corporation.
                      I want a solid platform and Intel is the only solution available, and of course it's not a bad solution at all intel based servers are running 80% of our servers here, the other 20% are Unix based.

Cheers,
                      Elie

Comment

The FTC comparison in this case is faulty. This is a CIVIL action. As such the FTC has nothing to do with its progress. In fact a civil action is more likely to produce a finding in AMD's favor because of the different standard of evidence applied.

In a Fexeral case the standard is "beyond a shadow of doubt".

In a civil action it's "preponderance of the evidence".

The latter just means if you can convince a jury or some judge that you're 50.1% correct then you win.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM

60% of the P3 based computers I ever saw was VIA chipped!
                          90% of the P4 ones I've seen to date has been SIS chipped! (dell stands for the Intel 10% )

OEMS want CHEAP, period (Dell isn’t an OEM, they are an IEM)

Originally posted by Elie

Regards,
                          Elie
                          Tom is soo bought by Intel and Nvidia is sad, when Intel first launched the P4 he did a 180 turn from earlier being almost a AMD fanboy to go stark raving P4 Fanatic, anyone remember his "but honest, it runs Q3A great" articles?

And when it comes to which CPU architecture that is best to use with Video production I can only refer to Dr Mordrid's Sig: "AthlonXP 3000+"
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Uh... soon you will see how obsolete the Athlon XP will become

Regards,
                            Elie

Comment

yup, in the same way a P4 3ghz (single core, non 64bit) will soon be obsolete
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X