Suspended animation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspended animation

I'd heard about this a while back, but wasn't aware that they'd moved on to animals any higher than rats;

US scientists have succeeded in reviving the dogs after three hours of clinical death, paving the way for trials on humans within years.

Pittsburgh's Safar Centre for Resuscitation Research has developed a technique in which subject's veins are drained of blood and filled with an ice-cold salt solution.

The animals are considered scientifically dead, as they stop breathing and have no heartbeat or brain activity.

But three hours later, their blood is replaced and the zombie dogs are brought back to life with an electric shock.

Plans to test the technique on humans should be realised within a year, according to the Safar Centre.
    Ths Safar Center was founded by Dr. Peter Safar (1924 - 2003) who is known as the father of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Dr. Safar was also the driving force behind the US's first intensive care unit and paramedical rescue service He was also nominated three times for the Nobel Prize in medicine.

Sure looks like they've ratcheted things up a few notches

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 June 2005, 11:05.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

From the picture in the article I take it that the dogs were not too pleased to be part of this experiment.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

My guess is that the paper did as many UK-AUS papers do: they ran with the "zombie" aspect and chose pictures to push the point.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

yep
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

so how long will a dog keep in the fridge?.. just the 3 hours?
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

They'll likely stick to a few hours until they get the procedure more developed, but you know how tech is; give 'em an inch and they'll take a light year.

And as the article noted dogs are just the start. Humans are very likely on the researchers short list because of the advantages in emergency and battlefield medicine.

Some day soon you may well see this as something to be done by emergeny squads to keep accident or heart attack victims "alive" until they can get them to treatment. You certainly can't die of blood loss, brain or heart curculatory defects or shock if you're on ice.

Dr. Mordrid
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 June 2005, 11:35.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

For that it would work.. I thought it was the beginning of successfully cryogenically freezing people.

makes you wonder how many "I saw the white light at the end of the tunnel" stories will come out of the trials on humans
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

For now actual freezing is very unlikely because of the formation of ice crystals in the cells. This has always caused damage which is irreversible. As such they'll have ot keep the body just above freezing.

This isn't to say that freezing cannot be done as many animals can be frozen solid then thawed, but they have biochemical differences that permit freezing without ice crystal formation. One such difference can be the secretion of various chemical anti-freezes in the cells that humans as of yet cannot reproduce.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

From the look of that dog I thought one thing.. PET SEMATARY

Comment

Well.

Wait a few years. Let me save up 100.000$ Ill invest them safely, and hit the freezer for 50 years.

THen I thaw up and live on the interest.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                      From the look of that dog I thought one thing.. PET SEMATARY
                      Me too

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Uhm, I'm NOT volunteering for the test run on humans
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                        X