Explorer exploding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer exploding...

I have reinstalled windows using slipstreamed CD with all the hotfixes and drivers that I need. I am having a few problems with explorer though....

I've noticed that it frequently fails to refresh windows. If I move/delete files it won't update unless i hit F5. It is causing all sorts of problems as explorer keeps haning whilst trying to find files.... I have enabled 'use a seperate process for each folder' is that what is causing this?

Any suggestions?

I am having to end-task and 'new task' > 'explorer' quite frequently now....
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Did you catch something before installing your a/v?
    FT.

Comment

sounds like maybe you've got an explorer hijack or other add-on that's causing you problems. Scan your computer with the various Spyware progs out there. Also, I haven't used HijackThis in a long time but that was the best util out there for identifying what was installed and affecting explorer.

I had a util for calculating folder sizes installed once. In theory It was supposed to be multithreaded and not slow down explorer but in practise I got really frustrated because it regularly caused explorer to seem to freeze while it was doing the math so I had to uninstall it.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I have Microsofts AntiSpy thingiemajig and ewido Security Site running. Adaware didn't find anything, but I've not installed any AV software yet ....

I normally use Norton, but can anyone recommend an alternative?
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
          I normally use Norton, but can anyone recommend an alternative?
          AVG Free: http://free.grisoft.com

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

www.spywareguide.com free scan
            Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

no spyware and no virii, but explorer is still bombing out ever now and then....
              Any suggestions on how I can find the root of this?

Event Viewer is fine...

Comment

Bad Sectors on the HDD? Run a scandisk on ur drive. Maybe there's a bad sector where your swapfile is. Make sure you run w/the option to scan the drive. CHKDSK C: /F /V /R
                Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

scandisk reports no errors...

Comment

Any other errors?

Any USB storage devices attached?
                    FT.

Comment

My next suggestion would be to run a check on your RAM. Flaky RAM could do the same thing.
                      Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                      MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                      Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                      Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Nope.. no other errors..

I did a complete take apart - hoover - reassemble and rebuild. Everything was working before, but XP was starting to crumble.

Whenever i access 'My Computer' or part thereof, there is a chance that the computer will hang. CPU usgage goes upto 100% but that's it.... eventually it will either sort itself out, or I have to end-task.

I do have several USB devices attached, but prior to the revuild all was well....

Interestingly, I started up a game and it was really stuttery. It kept accessing the dvd drive every second or so, despite the fact that the game was cracked.

I wonder if there is a problem with my dvd drive. I've inserted several working cds and it does seem t have trouble reading them... perhaps i've mangled a pin when i was messing about with the cables.

Comment

Would a dead DVD drive account for explorer crashing??? It will occasionally happen if i copy a shortcut to the startmenu for example...

Comment

Flaky IDE devices/cables can cause no-boots and windows slow downs. Try disconnecting...
                            And do a Memtest.
                            FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                              I am having to end-task and 'new task' > 'explorer' quite frequently now....
                              I noticed the same problem on my PC. It isn't connected to the internet, no virusses, no bad harddisk, no bad memory, ...

Good thing is that I keep images of what is on the PC; this way I can easily revert to i.e. a basic installation, or a full blown installation (all basic applications), .... I suspected it was caused by some softwares I added, so I reverted to my 'fully blown installation', which lacked some minor softwares. And the problem was solved!

So perhaps there is some unstable software running...

Jörg
                              pixar
                              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                              X