Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lactose intolerance, heredity and....WAR (!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lactose intolerance, heredity and....WAR (!!)

WAR?? Yup....

Neat read;

When it comes to the ability to eat cheese, geography is destiny.

Researchers at Cornell University have shown in a recent study that lactose intolerance is largely a factor of cultural evolution. That is, members of ethnic groups that emerged in regions where raising cattle was common often are more genetically predisposed to digest milk products. Meanwhile, people whose ancestors came from regions where extreme temperatures, short growing seasons and dangerous animal-borne diseases made animal husbandry expensive and difficult often feel cramped and nauseous after eating dairy products.

In cheese-happy Denmark, for instance, only 2 percent of the population studied was lactose intolerant. In Zambia, near the equator, 100 percent of the individuals studied were lactose intolerant.

"The implication is that harsh climates and dangerous diseases negatively impact dairy herding and geographically restrict the availability of milk, and that humans have physiologically adapted to that," evolutionary biologist Paul Sherman, a professor of neurobiology and behavior at Cornell, said in a statement.

The key to lactose intolerance is the enzyme lactase, which is required to digest milk. Although infants around the world produce the enzyme, more than half the people in the world, particularly those of Asian and African descent, stop producing it as they mature. People of northern European descent tend to continue to produce the enzyme because of a genetic mutation, according to Sherman. Thus, they can drink milk throughout life.

Sherman's work is part of the emerging field of Darwinian medicine, which seeks to examine how genetic history impacts health. The popularity of spices in hot climates can be explained in part by antimicrobial compounds, according to Sherman, while morning sickness in pregnant women may be a way to protect embryos against pathogens ingested by the mother that emerged in evolution.

Sherman and student Gabrielle Bloom studied data on lactose intolerance from 270 different ethnic groups from 39 nations ranging from Greenland to southern Africa. Overall, the statistics revealed that lactose intolerance decreases with increasing latitude (moving toward the poles) and increases with rising temperature, particularly when climate changes heighten the difficulty in maintaining dairy herds.

Around 61 percent of the people studied worldwide were lactose intolerant, Sherman's study found.

The data also allowed Sherman to propose an answer to the puzzle of the existence of 13 lactose tolerant groups in the Middle East and Africa. These groups are, or were, nomads and thus regularly lived in regions more favorable to dairy farming.
    And now for the WAR part;

Historians have theorized that this digestive culture clash contributed to hostilities between Vikings and indigenous tribes in Greenland 1,000 years ago. The Vikings, some believe, offered the lactose-intolerant natives milk.
    So of all people the Vikings got a bad rap

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Chemical warfare?

Seriously, I find this theory much harder to stomach than milk. The boats the Vikings used for their forays were far too small for transporting cattle.

The Med cultures are more tolerant of goats' milk than cows' milk and nearly all the indigenous cheeses here are either goats' or sheep's (halloumi, anari, fetta etc). The shops sell both cows' and goats' milk.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

You don't have to transport cattle just dairy products; cheese, yogurt etc. As we all should know by now with journalists conveying this information the distinction between dairy animals and dairy products may well have been lost

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hey, I have been aboard an exact replica of a longboat - including 2 cows, 1 pig and 12 chicken.

The trip was terrific, the boat handled like a dream, but the smell was less than pleasant (when a Cow "goes", hot darn!).

So yes, they could indeed have brought cattle along with them. Both the cattle and the pig handled the waves well. The chicken on the other hand, didnt look exactely happy about the trip. The cows and the pig had no problem leaving the ship directly to the shore either. No cranes or pulleys where hurt in this experiment.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

What DukeP says...also their boats were somehow meant (possible definetally) for limited transport of horses...so why not cows? (apart from the fact that I can't imagine any Viking warrior taking cow on a journey )

Comment

If you like this type of history check out:
            Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky

In a Food in Chinese History class I took a guy wrote his final paper based on this book. It discusses the wars that have been fought over salty lakes, and also the rise and fall of empires partly due to salt.
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by DukeP
              The trip was terrific, the boat handled like a dream, but the smell was less than pleasant (when a Cow "goes", hot darn!).

~~DukeP~~
              Try growing up on a farm. We had 30 cows and were less than 1/4 mile from a pig farm. Try having that upwind from you on a hot night

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

TnT: Try also to read Marks book about The Cod (THe fish that changed the world).

Dr.: I know how bad Pigs smell. I worked 6 months with improving biochemical airfilters on larger pig farms. THat meant that I had to stand inside a narrow, wet and warm chamber, where the combined "exhaust" from the pigs where forced into - to seep through a multilayer honeycombed wet and slimy structure. The airpressure was above 1 athmosphere - the stench unbeliveable.

We did succed tho - the new filters work as close to flawlessly as (I think) possible. I did have to incinerate all my labclothes tho.

I have a picture on my other machine - Ill post it later. Its seeing is believing.

~~DUkeP~~

Comment

Whew!!!

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

@Duke: I like salmon better Anyways, sounds interesting... so much of our history dependent on specific items.

My high school, which was a spread out campus, was trapped between dairy farms and a sewage plant. So each side of the school had a distinctive smell, except sometimes they'd swirl together to form a smelly tornado of sorts. Not bad compared to what you guys mentioned though.
                    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Farms are bad, but as far as mobile WMD's go there's nothing as bad as our son Chris 3 hours after he's ingested baked beans & beer

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I doubt worse than places where gelatine is produced/trucks that carry raw material there...

Comment

I promised a picture from the hot&wet&smelly hellhole I worked with.

Here goes:

Its rainning recycled water from a sprinkler - to keep the bacteria moist and happy.

The smelly air is pumped in from the left in the picture. To the right is the honeycombed wall of paper thats working as a substrate for the bacteria. In the middle is a couple of research assistants.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Of course this article fails to take into account the fact that many leading doctors and researchers feel that lactose intolerance ranks very high - second only to ADHD - on the "misdiagnosed and/or nonexistant maladies" index.
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                            X