Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• external slim dvd

Hello,

I'm planning on buying an IBM laptop, but the one I'm looking at has no internal DVD drive.

I have noticed there are very few manufacturers that make a portable DVD drive that is USB powered. IBM offers a model, but it is quite expensive and only offers read only when USB powered:
    http://www5.pc.ibm.com/europe/products.nsf/$wwwPartnumLookup/_22P91xx?OpenDocument
    It does have the advantage that it can use the same AC adapter as the Thinkpad...

Lacie is also coming with a drive:
    Visit us, explore, and be inspired by premium external hard drives, SSDs, and RAID solutions that give you field-proven reliability and bold performance. Trek the globe with Rugged® durability, sprint through projects with Thunderbolt™ speed, and easily connect to the latest USB-C computers.

Judging by the fact that there is a USB Powershare cable listed, I suspect it is USB powerd (the firewire-model is firewire-powered)

Targus also makes a model:
    Embrace the opportunity to work from anywhere & discover the top computer accessories, laptop bags, docking stations, & more from Targus. Learn more.

But... euhm... Well... It is Targus...
    (might be hard to find here)

Ideally, I'd love to see an external enclosure (USB) that holds a slim line drive, allowing me to freely chose the drive I want... But I haven't found such a beast...

With what I've found, I'm doubting between the IBM and the Lacie...
    So, any suggestions?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I know freecom specialize in external portable drives. Maybe do a search on them

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Now that you mention it...

Ok, let's compare:
      IBM:
      + same adapter as thinkpad
      + smallest/lightest of the bunch (290 g)
      + reads all including DVD-RAM
      + writes DVD-RAM
      - no dual layer
      - only readonly when bus powered
      - doens't write DVD+R & DVD+RW

LACIE (write/rewrite/read: DVD-RW: 8x4x8x; DVD+RW: 8x4x8x; DVD+R DL: 2.4x):
      + reads all + and -
      + bus powered
      + writes DVD+R DL
      - doesn't write DVD-R DL
      - doesn't read/write DVD-RAM
      - 390 g

TARGUS (24x CD/CDR/CD-RW read, 16x CDR write, 10x CR-RW write, 8x DVD read, 4x DVD write):
      + bus powered
      - doesn't write DL
      - no DVD-RAM support
      - 470 g

FREECOM (8xDVD+R, 4xDVD+RW, 8xDVD-R, 4xDVD-RW, 8xDVD-ROM, 24xCD-R,16xCD-RW):
      + DL on + and -
      + bus powered
      + own battery (= longer autonomy)
      - no DVD-RAM (read or write)
      - 600 g

Hmm, this is looking difficult... I'm leaning more towards the Lacie now... Allthought I kinda like DVD-RAM support (I have no other DVD-RAM drive at this time, but my Toshiba DVD drive does read DVD-RAM)...

I have the impression DVD-RAM is winning ground, is this the case?

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Dunno. DVD-RAM certainly is the most secure writable DVD for you to archive on, though.

AZ

Comment

I wonder why IBM is making its drive read-only when USB powered...

Is writing with a USB powered drive risky?
          Does writing DVD-RAM require more "oomph" ?

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Just found another alternative:

This drive:

(there are stores where it can be purchased)
            writes all formats (including DVD-RAM) but the -R/RW DL...

And in combination with this case:

Still, I'm beginning to have doubts if USB can supply enough power to burn reliably...

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

I think a plugpack for the external case would be much more sensible. USB ports on notebooks often can only supply 100 mA, rarely they even fry when you try to get too much out of them.

AZ

Comment

Some use 2 USB ports, to have more power...
                Perhaps the power delivered by a laptop on its USB ports will also vary with whether the laptop is running on AC or on battery...

Taking this into account, the IBM becomes more interesting, but it is the least perfomant of the bunch (both in supported standards as in speed)... The Lacie still has an external powersupply as well, so it is possible to use it like this (only downside is that it becomes slightly less portable...

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

For a moment, I also considered the Apacer CP300
                  The document/file requested was not found on this server.

(can copy files from memory cards to DVD, standalone; playback files on tv - the RAW format I always use isn't supported, ...)

But for my application portability is the most important thing, and I haven't found any information concerning the weight of this device... The CD-R version wheighs 730 g....
                  So I think I'll stick to a more "normal" drive...

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

And another combo made the selection:
                    this enclosure:

with this drive:

(if possible, it would allow every standard!)

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Working...
                    X