Screwdriver DVD copy protection.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screwdriver DVD copy protection.....

Got this tip from the DVD Doctor forum for those situations where you create a DVD for those attending an event, but instead of purchasing copies from you they just dupe one of the first-sold copies. Edits made for clarity;

Record an extra 10 minutes of black video at the end of the DVD. In authoring make a chapter point at the end of the visuals so that the last chapter playing is the black video.

After burning use a (small) watchmenders screwdriver and make a deep scratch or dent no more than a couple of millimeteres long (near the end of the recorded part of the disc).

Duplicators cannot finalise the disk and CRC errors are displayed. Obviously dont do this to your master disk. (Now) wait for the telephone call asking you for more copies.
    Can't wait to try this

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 June 2005, 07:30.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Good idea

Comment

Can't you just burn with Macrovision or other somesuch copy protection enabled? What I mean to ask is, I haven't looked into it but I always assumed that most DVD authoring software had copy protection capability. Am I right?
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Because Macrovision and CSS only work when the DVD is created from a DLT tape transferred to a glass master. With DVD =/+ R/RW they are not at all reliable.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

...Can't wait to try this...
          A similar method was known for years with the good old floppy disks. They called this something like “laser hole” copy protection.
          I tried it myself both with a mechanical hole (didn’t work for me) and an electronic hole by making an active sector as bad sector in some of my “wonderful” DOS programs, thousands of years ago. It worked, but there are programs which cracked this too.
          So, stand up and fight…
          /Fred
          Last edited by Fred H; 26 June 2005, 15:49.
          It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
          ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
            Can't you just burn with Macrovision or other somesuch copy protection enabled? What I mean to ask is, I haven't looked into it but I always assumed that most DVD authoring software had copy protection capability. Am I right?
            Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
            Because Macrovision and CSS only work when the DVD is created from a DLT tape transferred to a glass master. With DVD =/+ R/RW they are not at all reliable.

Dr. Mordrid

And we all know how effective Macrovision and css is on DVD's

Wonder if the "Screwdriver dvd copy protection" will also stop a manual copy (with a dvd-+rw drive in a computer)
            Last edited by Technoid; 26 June 2005, 23:15. Reason: Forgot schmosef's quote ;)
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
              And we all know how effective Macrovision and css is on DVD's

Wonder if the "Screwdriver dvd copy protection" will also stop a manual copy (with a dvd-+rw drive in a computer)
              If one is aware of what is going on, then any sw that can import DVD titles will enable the contents to be copied.

Nero can also import the scratched DVD's contents (you manually choose not to import the last damaged section/title) and easily write a "copy" of the disk sans scratched bit
              Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                Got this tip from the DVD Doctor forum for those situations where you create a DVD for those attending an event, but instead of purchasing copies from you they just dupe one of the first-sold copies. Edits made for clarity;

Can't wait to try this

Dr. Mordrid
                This is a great idea
                Anything that makes it just a little more difficult for people to copy a prerelease is valuable info.
                I'll definitely try it out. Thanks for passing on.
                "It's purely for evaluation..."

Comment

Working...
                X