Chessmaster 10th Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chessmaster 10th Edition

I just picked this up over the weekend. I haven't purchased a chess game for the PC in ages. All of my expectations were passed with this game. I would highly recommend it. Some of the features that really stood out for me are:

1. Analyze your game - This will analyze each move from both sides and tell you were you went wrong and show you better moves along with telling you what the computer was up to and strategies to avoid things in the future.

2. The Academy - Tons of hands on puzzles and lessons to learn about every aspect of the game. Quizzes and tests. Not easy tests either. the give you a setup and tell you to figure out mate in 2 moves or ask you to use a rook and a king to mate the other king without a stalemate.

3. The squares light up with different info so you can play with features turned on such as where all the safe squares are or what squares a particular piece can travel on.

4. Annotations of everything almost. It basically talks your through stuff as if someone was sitting there talking to you.

5. Of course you can play online and get a ranking. You can play against the computer with ranks as well.

6. Nice graphics especially with 6xaa/16xaf. Fun animations.

7. A huge list (maybe 100-200) games that have been played already. You can walk through these games and it give you play by play in some of them. I must have spent two hours last night just going through these games.

there is so9 much to this I was blown away. I highly recommend it.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

btw, I was just reading about Chessmaster competitor, "Fritz". This is what some people said:

From what I have heard, for an average player, the difference is not really apparent. I have heard that Fritz plays more of a strategic game, while CM prefers tactics, but that is about it. The real difference relates to features. Again, based upon what I have heard, CM is the best for the beginner to intermediate player who enjoys casual and club play with an eye towards improvement. Fritz is optimized for hardcore / expert players who love detailed analysis with the ability to maintain complex databases of games.
    Fritz is for serious chessplayers and Chessmaster is for us pawnpushers.

Fritz's engine is stronger than Chessmaster's, but they can both kick our asses, so that you can't tell the difference anyway.
    Picture of darthmix

Posted Thu June 09 2005 18:14
    I've actually found that Fritz plays a much more realistic game at lower levels. It also has a much, much better online component than any version of CM has ever had. When I just want to open up a PGN and experiment with a position I find Fritz a lot easier to use. (I don't have to break out the Fritz CD every time, so maybe that's part of it.)

CM, in general, has better visuals and a slicker play environment. And CM's natural language analysis and tutorial features are the best you'll find anywhere - far better than anything in Fritz. But those things aren't so important to very advanced players, which is probably why Fritz skews more toward the expert market.

Still, I would never say that Fritz is only suitable for GMs. Intermediate players can still get a lot out of it.
    So since I pretty much suck, I'm sure I'll never miss playing Fritz
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Nothing beats Battle Chess! They need to bring that back!
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

This has some animation like Battle Chess. But this far exceeds anything BattleChess ever did, trust me.

Comment

It has pieces fighting each other?

Comment

yes!

Comment

Comment

Comment

I'll always think of the chess match on "Lexx" whenever I hear of a chess game. Each possession was a bloody scene.
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Sold!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
                      Sold!
                      Honestly though, I was all excited about the animation part too, but there is so much more to this game that I have barely touched the animation.

Comment

I picked it up on my way between meetings today. I probably won't have time to play untli the weekend.

Comment

Sweet! Let's get some games going once you get set up. I'm not that good but I can play.

Comment

I used to play a lot in middle school. Haven't much since then, so I must suck.

I recently bought these two chess sets:
                            -http://www.superherostuff.com/OtherI...StarChess.html
                            -http://www.superherostuff.com/OtherI.../BatChess.html / http://www.superherostuff.com/OtherI...uperchess.html)

I've been scared to keep them out because I don't want to be challenged by any friends that come over! I've been meaning to pick up a copy chessmaster for a little while now so I can improve and then beat my friends in real life.

Once I get setup and figure out the basics again, I'd love to play some games with you. Go easy on me!

Comment

here's a link to a post at the Chesmaster forums where they list the patches available and talk about the no-CD patch from Ubisoft:

Comment

Working...
                              X