The big trip...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The big trip...

Just like some other Saturdays, I went to the fliying club this Saturday.

It is time for my long navigation (with 2 landings during the trip), but we always had to postpone it because of not possible for instructor, plane maintenance, bad weather, ...
    This Saturday however, my instructor was there (he has to verify the navigation plan), the plane wasn't in maintenance, but the weather was doubtful: 7 km visiblity in Ostend (home airport).
    I had prepared my navigation, and after having called some other airport, the instructor gave me a green light: go get the plane, get it fueled, and you are clear to go.
    he: "Are you up to it?"
    me: "I think so..."
    he: "Ok, you should, it is a long flight."
    Then he pointed at the map: "If the weather doesn't get better beyond this point, return to Ostend".

And off I went: I pulled the plane out of the hangar, taxied to our apron, and had it fueled. After the obligatory checks (outside and inside) and radio procedures, I got a take-off clearance.

My first track was from Ostend to Charleroi (Brussels South), via Zottegem (city) and Affligem (other city, where a beacon is positioned). The visibility was not very good, but using a couple of beacons I managed to stay on track. It did improve just before Zottegem, so I decided to head on. After the calculated time, I didn't recognize the entry point for Charleroi airspace, so I contact them. Turns out I had just passed the point, so they gave me a new course which led me directly into the circuit.
    One hour and 36 minutes after take-off, I touched ground (a 737 was waiting for take-off, so I got an "expedite vacating the runway"...), walked to the control office, and got a stamp in my flightbook.

Next, I was set to go again, this time to Saint Gislain (small airfield). I had to climb over 2500 ft to stay clear of a restricted area, but this didn't prevent me of seeing the airfield from far away. Joining the circuit was easy, my landing was a bit rough (plane bounced up once... ), but ok. This was 32 minutes after taking off in Charleroi. I then taxied, pushed the plane on a marked spot, and went to fetch my second stamp. I also was in dire need of a drink, so I went to the bar (a coke ), and was good to go again.

Take-off went smooth, I climbed to 2000 ft, and set course back home. The closer I got there, the worse the weather got (slightly turbulent, less visibility: I even descended to 1500 ft).
    49 minutes after leaving Saint Gislain, I landed at Ostend.

My long navigation flight was over!

Next weekend I should make some manouvres in solo (steep turns: > 50° bank angle !, slow flight: 55 kts, stalls, ...). We also have planned a second long navigation (in double control) where everything will be combined. The one lesson I havn't got yet is the "precautionary landing" (emergency landing with engine, minimizing the ground distance needed), but we are perfectly on schedule to be able to have the exam this summer...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)
Working...
X