i got a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i got a problem

when i turned on my computer yesterday, i got this strange error.

Keyboard error or no keyboard present
    the problem was this: it wouldn't let me enter bios or anything. and with a windows cd i got nowhere. so i reset CMOS, which allowed me to enter bios and later turn on the computer correctly.
    by the looks of it, that isn't happening today. now i get nowhere.

the computer is runing on windows xp sp1. i installed some new hardware a couple of days ago, but i have restarted it many times since.(the new hardware is a new graphic card, new ram and a new psu)

does anyone know how to fix this?

Are you using a regular ps2 keyboard of a USB keyboard, I had a similar problem with my USB keyboard while using a KVM switch, I just had to enable the usb keyboard feature in the bios

JD
    Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

its a usb keyboard. cordless even. the problem is that i can't access bios. i can't really do anything :P

Comment

hmm though i dont have any good solutions other to check battery status on the keyboard, and to use a ps2 to get into the bios and enable usb keyboard and also set halt on all errors to halt on all errors but keyboard.

JD

Comment

This reminded me of the error message "Keyboard error or no keyboard present. Press any key to continue".
          I have no other suggestions to add from the ones given above.

Comment

Plug in the usb->ps2 adapter that you keep handy... you DO keep that, don't you?

And then change the setting in your BIOS.

Or... go buy a $5 PS/2 keyboard and plug it in to fix this.

There's a REASON I still use PS/2 keyboards and mice exclusively.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

I havent used a PS/2 mouse in 6 years
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                Plug in the usb->ps2 adapter that you keep handy... you DO keep that, don't you?

And then change the setting in your BIOS.

Or... go buy a $5 PS/2 keyboard and plug it in to fix this.

There's a REASON I still use PS/2 keyboards and mice exclusively.
                i got one from a friend. and everything worked out. thanks for the tips, guys

Comment

Just happy to help.

Comment

Shouldn't the 'legacy USB' setting in the bios be enabled if you want to use a USB keyboard in the early stages...?

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Yeah, but you need PS/2 keayboard in order to access BIOS to enable it .

Comment

Working...
                      X