10 inch or 8 inch subs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 inch or 8 inch subs?

What do you think? should I go for a 10 inch Sub for good clean base, don't like the puchy sound.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Elie

You can get tight bass out of a 12" sub but I wouldn't go to 15". I think 12" is idea.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I'd go for a 10" sub when I am hungry, or a 5" sub when I am not... really depends on how you fell that day...

I usually go with 5" subs b/c i don't eat a lot...

Comment

12" is best to hit down to 20 Hz. If you can't afford oe go 10".
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It must be lunchtime, I thought you were talking about a sandwich!
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

12" sub is the only way to go.
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

yep, I'd vote for a 12" also - it doesn't have to be 'punchy' if the enclosure is tuned properly.
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

12" it is guys, thanks!

Comment

depends what kind of speakers you are pairing it with
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

two 6x9 JBL's with Titanium tweeters and mid range.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
                      What do you think? should I go for a 10 inch Sub for good clean base, don't like the puchy sound.

Thanks!

Regards,
                      Elie

Thanks for reminding me.. gotta get the Windex and wipe off the bottom of my sub.. gotta have a clean base.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
                        two 6x9 JBL's with Titanium tweeters and mid range.
                        Wait.. you're talking about CAR stereo? :Slap:

I have a 12" sub with my home system, and it's powerful, clean, and plays very low notes with ease. The flaw in your question is WHICH 12" woofer. I have a Velodyne SPL1200. If I had a $399 12" woofer of ANY brand, I wouldn't be saying this, because it takes $$ to make good quality deep bass. It's certainly possible to make an excellent sounding speaker with 15" woofers IF you do it right. B&W 801s have 15" woofers, but if you cut a cross section, you would see it is made of a material which is very thick and rigid. Not much distortion there, and it plays pretty darned deep.

Comment

car stereo? bleck.
                          save the cash and set yourself up a proper 2.0, 2.1, or even 2.2 home stereo.
                          and IMO, stay away from large cone sizes (especially for subs), sound too sloppy and are much too slow for my tastes. I was listening to a pair of 100k+ Wilson Audio Grand Slamm's with huge 15 and 12inch cones (and some other ones in there too) + a wilson sub, paired with some major Krell power amps and cd player - i thought it sounded like #%$ compared to a nice pair of electrostatic speakers for about 10k. Stick with small, tight/fast subs, pair em up if you need to or want more sound out of em, screw the 15"'s I say. AND GO WITH TUBES TUBES TUBES!!!
                          my 2 cents that probably does not make sense (not even to me)
                          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
                          X