DivX 6.0 is out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DivX 6.0 is out

The original CODEC of hackers got a big update today. Besides the standard video CODEC upgrade it has options for OGM/MKV like nestling functionality. Meaning you can rip a DVD to a DivX 6 file and keep all your audio tracks, subtitles, menus, etc. in a single file (ala a VOB sub like function).

Download free DivX Software to play, convert and cast video including DivX, AVI, MKV and HEVC files up to 4K. Play AVI and convert to MP4!

Overview of DivX 6:

Download free DivX video software to play & convert video, including DivX, AVI, MKV, and HEVC. Easily play AVI and convert to MP4 (Windows)

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Just for the sake of truth... Xvid is a real codec of hackers, DivX is simply yet another proprietary codec implementation.

My two cents.

Comment

Ahh both are at least marginally based on the original 3ivx codec, which was 100% stolen Microsoft MPEG4 code.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah but the Microsoft MPEG4 code was 100% stolen from an idea I had. I'm not holding a grudge though.
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          Ahh both are at least marginally based on the original 3ivx codec, which was 100% stolen Microsoft MPEG4 code.
          Xvid/Divx5 was built ground-up from the MPEG4 spec.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
            Yeah but the Microsoft MPEG4 code was 100% stolen from an idea I had. I'm not holding a grudge though.
            And you got your idea from the writing in the bathroom stall.
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Yeah, it was right under some scribbling about the need to call a Pro named Zokes for a guaranteed good time.
              P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                And you got your idea from the writing in the bathroom stall.
                Damn, I knew I shouldn't have written that down in that bathroom!
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
                  Yeah, it was right under some scribbling about the need to call a Pro named Zokes for a guaranteed good time.
                  You were in the woman's stall now???
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by magician
                    Just for the sake of truth... Xvid is a real codec of hackers, DivX is simply yet another proprietary codec implementation.

My two cents.
                    Originally, DivX was codec of hackers. XviD came along later. 3viX, if I remember correctly, was originally only available for open source/Linux, so DivX took the spotlight as the Windows hacker CODEC of choice.

DivX's huge popularity, partially based off of several spots on TV showing of how you could create CD size copies of a DVD movie with it, the general popularity of it exploded. The creators realized its potential and prettied it up and marketed it. They've done well with it so more power to them.

XviD has stayed true to it's hacker roots and remains free, but came along a lot later than DivX.

Still need to test out the new version to see ow good it it.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

They BOTH scrapped their codebases and started over when it became apparent that their projects were either going to make money (in the case of divx.com) or going to draw enough attention to warrant legal action (xvid is already being sued by ReelMagic). But don't be fooled - both have their origins in 100% pirated code.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

AFAIK Divx 3.xx was the "problem child" while they rewrote the 4.xx version to clear the MS code. Duno about previous versions but I don't see why they wouldn't have pirated code.

Comment

So anyway, DivX 6 doesn't improve the codec persay, it just adds more (cool) features.

Comment

3.x doesn't contain real 'non-MS' code anyway.. it's the MS MPEG4v3 codec with some changes to the binaries to allow use in .AVI container format, encoding through VfW and some other stuff that MS had 'limited' in their own release. Dunno if they ever released their code (might have had?) and if so, that might have been the basis for DivX 4.x / OpenDivX / Xvid (all originate from the same codebase)

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                              .... to draw enough attention to warrant legal action (xvid is already being sued by ReelMagic).
                              Err - surely you've got that backwards.
                              RealMagic decoders (made by Sigma Designs) got into trouble for ripping off xvid code and passing it off as their own. Eventually they were forced to publish their source code to comply with the GPL.

Comment

Working...
                              X