windows updates won't install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows updates won't install

the updates download but all fail to install. i turned the firewall off and security settings were set to low. i don't think i should have needed to do this as i haven't before but tried it anyway. my 2000 pro box went without a hitch on same isp.

xp home on dell 700m laptop

thx in advance
    P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

I vaguely recall that someone had the same issue on one of the forums I visit, and it turned out it was a time/date issue, so check your time and date. Also check your event viewer and the "Windows Update.log" file it should be located in your windows folder.
    Last edited by KeiFront; 14 June 2005, 14:42.
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

thx!

will try this all once i figure out how to use the event viewer.

what do i do with the log when i view it?
      P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

You can find the event viewer under the Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer, just check if you can find any window update related errors or warnings.
        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

thx, i found it.

it says it is a time ssue and furthur checking told me not to block port 123 to allow windows to sync but bypassing my firewall had no effect. im sure i just dont get it, something i haven't had an issue with before.

no success but thx very much for trying!

i will succeed eventually

Comment

Does the updates download and not install or are you having problems with the download as well?
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

downloads fine, just wont install them. windowsupdate.log shows error msg 0x80240020 and 0x800704dd.

Comment

Search for error codes on knowledge base and there's troubleshooter that explains what error code means.

I once blocked run DLL as app from accessing net (it was some nonsuggestive name) which prevented windows updates from being installed.

Comment

Apart from cleaning out all your temp files you may need to re-register the windows update services. I can't remember which files you need to registrer via the command line but it's microshafts website. If I was at work I'd send you the batch file I use for this as it's a common problem after viri and spyware infection.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

0x80240020 SUS E NO INTERACTIVE USER interactive user is missing to finish the operation

0x800704DD Error Not Logged On to network

yopu can check others here: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/doc.jm/WU5-ERR.htm

Check that you didn't disable too many user accounts on your PC.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                      Apart from cleaning out all your temp files you may need to re-register the windows update services. I can't remember which files you need to registrer via the command line but it's microshafts website. If I was at work I'd send you the batch file I use for this as it's a common problem after viri and spyware infection.
                      if you do run across it plz post as i still cannot fix it, even with microshafts "help".

thx

Comment

Working...
                      X