New printer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New printer?

I just graduated college and my parents gave me some dough. I'm determining if I should save it or blow it on a printer or LCD monitor. My current printer is a HP 722C that is 6 or 7 years old. I was amazed when I used it after it collected dust for 8 months and the ink hadn't dried out!

I was taking a look at the Canon IP6000D. Any thoughts on Canon or that model specifically?
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

I've got a Canon Pixma all-in-one. I'm pretty happy with it so far, but it's only been a few weeks, so I can't tell you what it will be like as it ages. But my last HP printer was my last HP printer. Their support was awful, and they just wanted me to spend more & more money.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Agree. I'd go with a Canon all-in-one. I think the MP700 is an excellent buy these days, instead of the newest line like the 750 or 780.

edit: Woah, I've noticed all of us 3 have the same CPU lol. 3000+ Vanice So good eh? (And even the same mobo w/wombat)

Comment

Yeah, I have yet to see how far it will go. I have it at 9*250 MHz right now, and it appears to be doing just fine. The Thermalright XP90 keeps it nice and cool.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I second the Canon Pixma choice. Thay print VERY well, are fast, silent and ink cartidge are quite cheap. I bought an IP4000 te replace an old HP 820Cxi and I'm really glad I did.
          System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Forgot to check the linux compatibility of the PIXMA series. Looks like I'd have to purchase http://www.turboprint.de to get it to work.

Don't think I can afford to buy a multifunction that has as good quality photo printing.

Because of the linux issue what about the Epson R300? I know about the print head issue, but right now looks like the next best option.
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
              Agree. I'd go with a Canon all-in-one. I think the MP700 is an excellent buy these days, instead of the newest line like the 750 or 780.

edit: Woah, I've noticed all of us 3 have the same CPU lol. 3000+ Vanice So good eh? (And even the same mobo w/wombat)
              Venice .. no?
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Two questions about the Canon MP780 regarding the fax function:

1. Can you use the fax modem as a regular modem as well, ie. as a backup to the broadband connection?

2. When you receive a fax, do you have the option of storing it as an image instead of printing it out?
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I have an HP895Cse at home and an R80 all-in-one at work. My home unit is over 7 years old and still works fine. The one at work we got used 5 years ago and it's been working hard ever since. Never had a problem with either of them. After all the problems with cheap Canons and Epsons that were loud and then broke, I would never stray from HP again.

Who knows, though? These have lasted so long, the whole picture might have changed by now.

Comment

Sorry, can't help with those. I have the 750, which is 780 w/o modem.

Comment

I switched from an HP 870 to a Canon i960. I love the Canon printer. It has a quiet mode, turns on and off automatically, individual catridges, superb photo quality pictures and nice looking (IMHO).
                      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I prefer HP's that use the 56 (black), 57 (color) and 58 (photo) cartridges.

They do a very good job and you can get third-party cartridges for 'em at places like Walmart, Office Max and Staples for 1/3 or more less than the HP brand cartridges.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 June 2005, 22:54.
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                          ...you can get third-party cartridges for 'em at places like Walmart, Office Max and Staples for 1/3 or more less than the HP brand cartridges.
                          Same goes for the Canon BCI-6 series of cartridges.
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                            Venice .. no?
                            lol an engineer cannot spell. what else can i say?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                              I prefer HP's that use the 56 (black), 57 (color) and 58 (photo) cartridges.

They do a very good job and you can get third-party cartridges for 'em at places like Walmart, Office Max and Staples for 1/3 or more less than the HP brand cartridges.

Dr. Mordrid
                              This article is on slashdot.

Therre are two locally owned places in town that refill ink cartridges; I can talk with the owner if I'm not happy. But I am concerned about photo print quality with unofficial ink. I'd like to do non-standard stuff, so taking in photos to a developer won't always be an option.

Comment

Working...
                              X