• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD QuadCore: 2007?

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

haha i am happy with a single core for what I do. sure, dual core must be more responsive.

But quad core? Woah...

I can do a few things at once, but I think the computer is gonna get ahead of me. lol.

the biggest questionsare price and the die size (power used and dissipated) for me

Comment

Last time I checked the rumor mill, the quad-cores were going to be a new socket type, unlike the X2s.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
        Last time I checked the rumor mill, the quad-cores were going to be a new socket type, unlike the X2s.
        AMD's Socket F (1027-pins) will hit in the server market next year. 2007 seems to be a good year for that HUGE socket to trickle down to the quad-core CPUs.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

You'd want a new socket for quad core anyways, as all 4 cores would share the same memory bandwidth of a single core opteron. more I/o's = more memory sockets could be connected.
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

wow, socket 7 was like yesterday...

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
              You'd want a new socket for quad core anyways, as all 4 cores would share the same memory bandwidth of a single core opteron. more I/o's = more memory sockets could be connected.
              Can't remember where I read that but basically AMD said 2 cores had enough bandwith with dual channel DDR400.

Next year they'll move to DDR2, so I suspect they'll have enough bandwith to introduce quad cores by 2007.

Comment

I'd guess it's not only about bandwith...(for a 8 core cpu, 8 independent memory lanes each with bandwith x, would be better than one memory lane with bandwith 8x I thimk...)

Comment

Working...
                X