Taiyo Yuden decent media?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taiyo Yuden decent media?

I just bought a couple of hundred Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R DVD01X0166-100, which are ink jet printable. I looked at reviews on the web and these looked like they were supposed to be top of the line. Well, more than half of them would not load when inserted in my DVD player. I've had bad discs before but never had a loading problem (maybe one or two out of hundreds).
    I've used Fugi, Verbatim, and probably at least 5 other brands and never had this problem. Is there a known problem with TY's?
    Thanks.
    Jon

Originally posted by JonH
    I just bought a couple of hundred Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R DVD01X0166-100, which are ink jet printable. I looked at reviews on the web and these looked like they were supposed to be top of the line. Well, more than half of them would not load when inserted in my DVD player. I've had bad discs before but never had a loading problem (maybe one or two out of hundreds).
    I've used Fugi, Verbatim, and probably at least 5 other brands and never had this problem. Is there a known problem with TY's?
    Thanks.
    Jon
    Because Taiyo Yuden media is so well-regarded (and sells at a premium price), it's also a prime target for being faked. If these were sold to you as genuine Taiyo Yudens (not just described as DVDs with a Taiyo Yuden media code), I would recommend that you contact the vendor.

There is a database of media codes at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia; you may want to try running one of the free media info utilities and see if you can find a match in the database.

Tony

Comment

I use DVD Identifier to find out for sure.

Comment

I've also had fakes. I think the best way to know, if you can buy them off a spindle, just buy a "couple" at random places off the spindle try them out and if pleased with the results get more.

Or if you have a steady supplyer, like I have, go and change them. Fakes are appearing
        far too often.

Are DVD media identifires safe ?
        ie. Will they not give you whatever info. is on the media, being faked info. or not ?

Debbie
        Last edited by Debbie; 13 June 2005, 05:37.
        We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

Thanks Tony, KV and Debbie. This is an interesting issue. Actually, I bought 100 ink jet printables and 100 silver tops. I downloaded the identifyer program and this is what I got.

Silvertops

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG01]
          Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
          Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
          Manufacturer ID : [TYG01]
          Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
          [ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Ink jet printables

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG02]
          Manufacturer ID : [TYG02]

So it looks like they are legit I guess. Or, as DEbbie asks, could they still be fake? Also, what is the difference between TYG01 and TYG02?

Thanks.

Jon

Comment

If I'm not mistaken the difference is in the type of dye that is used.
            Last edited by Debbie; 13 June 2005, 06:02.

Comment

Thanks Tony, KV and Debbie. This is an interesting issue. Actually, I bought 100 ink jet printables and 100 silver tops. I downloaded the identifyer program and this is what I got.

Silvertops

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG01]
              Manufacturer ID : [TYG01]

Ink jet printables

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG02]
              Manufacturer ID : [TYG02]

So it looks like they are legit I guess. Or, as DEbbie asks, could they still be fake? Also, what is the difference between TYG01 and TYG02?

Thanks.

Jon
              You might want to check the complete media code, rather than just the manufacturer ID. For example, this page shows the complete media code for real "TYG01" Taiyo Yudens:

The exact same header information shows up in legitimate DVDs sold under the Fujifilm and Verbatim brand names (among others). On the other hand, this poor quality media:

also has a "TYG01" manufacturer code but differs in several bytes in the complete media code. One of the comments on this page mentions that the discs were made in Hong Kong; this is a definite giveaway since all legitimate TY media is made in Japan.

Another way in which a knock-off may differ from the real McCoy is in the serial numbers written on the disc hub (but these could be faked as well ).

There's a good article on all of this (written from a Canadian perspective) at:

Tony

Comment

That's what I mean. You're never too sure what you're buying, so the best bet is the try and buy option. It has workd well for me.

Debbie

Comment

Try and buy sounds good, but I don't know if a company will send me a disc to try. Anyway, here is my entire MID block for my TY ink jet printable TYG02.

0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 52 00 02 87 0d 10 66 78 80 00 .@....R.....fx..
                  0010 : 03 54 59 47 30 32 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .TYG02..........
                  0020 : 05 aa a2 22 22 20 02 00 06 08 0e 11 87 78 80 00 ..."" .......x..
                  0030 : 07 88 80 00 00 00 00 00 08 06 13 0d 10 0e 07 00 ................
                  0040 : 09 97 07 0d 0b 78 88 00 0a 80 00 00 00 00 10 00 .....x..........
                  0050 : 0b 06 18 17 85 78 75 00 0c d6 89 a8 92 01 20 00 .....xu....... .
                  0060 : 0d 10 00 d0 00 00 00 00 00 00 ..........

Is there something here I can interpret or compare to? Also, ran a Kprobe 2 test on disc that wouldn't load for me at 1X with PI Sum=1 and PIF sum=8. Got avg PI = 21.96 and avg PIF=1.49. I think these are supposed to be good ratings, but correct me if I'm wrong. If they are, then maybe my DVD player needs cleaning.

Also, I bought these from Supermediastore on the net. Are they reputable?

Thanks.

Jon

Comment

Try and buy sounds good, but I don't know if a company will send me a disc to try. Anyway, here is my entire MID block for my TY ink jet printable TYG02.

0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 52 00 02 87 0d 10 66 78 80 00 .@....R.....fx..
                    0010 : 03 54 59 47 30 32 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .TYG02..........
                    0020 : 05 aa a2 22 22 20 02 00 06 08 0e 11 87 78 80 00 ..."" .......x..
                    0030 : 07 88 80 00 00 00 00 00 08 06 13 0d 10 0e 07 00 ................
                    0040 : 09 97 07 0d 0b 78 88 00 0a 80 00 00 00 00 10 00 .....x..........
                    0050 : 0b 06 18 17 85 78 75 00 0c d6 89 a8 92 01 20 00 .....xu....... .
                    0060 : 0d 10 00 d0 00 00 00 00 00 00 ..........

Is there something here I can interpret or compare to? Also, ran a Kprobe 2 test on disc that wouldn't load for me at 1X with PI Sum=1 and PIF sum=8. Got avg PI = 21.96 and avg PIF=1.49. I think these are supposed to be good ratings, but correct me if I'm wrong. If they are, then maybe my DVD player needs cleaning.

Also, I bought these from Supermediastore on the net. Are they reputable?

Thanks.

Jon
                    According to this page, the media code looks right:

Apparently, you should also expect to see serial numbers near the hub of the form "GG******".

Interestingly, one of the comments mentions a problem with white printable media used with an LG GSA-4120B burner. Any chance that you have the same model? If so, you might want to check for a firmware upgrade.

BTW, some companies do sell single discs. This is not very cost-effective but it may be the only way to tell whether a given make of DVD will work with your burner.

Tony

Comment

Thanks, Tony. I have a Lite-On burner. I'm thinking my DVD player must be messed up or dirty. Is there a certain part of the media code that determines a match? The code in the link you gave me is

00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 87 0D 10 .l...@....R.....
                      66 78 80 00 03 54 59 47 30 32 00 00 04 00 00 00 fx...TYG02......
                      00 00 00 00 05 AA A2 22 22 20 02 00 06 08 0E 11 ......."" ......

While some of the numbers match up, a lot fo them don't.

Jon

Comment

Thanks, Tony. I have a Lite-On burner. I'm thinking my DVD player must be messed up or dirty. Is there a certain part of the media code that determines a match? The code in the link you gave me is

00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 87 0D 10 .l...@....R.....
                        66 78 80 00 03 54 59 47 30 32 00 00 04 00 00 00 fx...TYG02......
                        00 00 00 00 05 AA A2 22 22 20 02 00 06 08 0E 11 ......."" ......

While some of the numbers match up, a lot fo them don't.

Jon
                        Some of the bytes are irrelevant; the ones that can be ignored are described on this page:

Note that the "DVD Identifier" utility automatically discards the beginning 4-byte header; the "DVDInfoPro" utility (which was used to create the listings at VideoHelp) does not. For this reason, you need to skip over the first four bytes of the VideoHelp listing before doing a comparison. Another difference between the utilities is the way in which they represent hexadecimal digits; "DVD Identifier" uses "a" to "f" and "DVDInfoPro" uses "A" to "F". For testing purposes, assume that "a" matches "A", "b" matches "B", etc.

Tony

Comment

Thanks, TOny.

Comment

Hi Jon,

at least make sure you have the latest firmware for your burner installed, as the manufacturers progressively add more and more media types to get them properly recognized by their drives.

http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download.htm
                            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                            LG BH10LS38
                            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
                            X