how to copy a website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to copy a website

I have a subscription to an online textbook but i would like to download it and transfer it to my pda for offline use. Legalities aside, is there a program out there that can easily do this?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Try downloading it using blackwidow!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
      Try downloading it using blackwidow!
      Itried it but i couldn't get it to work.. it refuses to copy from the secure area....
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

HTTrack?
        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

...adobe acrobat has a "capture website" tool plus it lets you determine how many links to retrieve

cc

Comment

FP2003 will do it. It will let you specify how many levels deep to go, and prompts for logins where needed. I imagine earlier versions will too.
            FT.

Comment

wget with the recursive and mirror options turned on.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Cheers guys! I tried httrack but that didn't work either- probably a config problem... I'll keep trying the other suggestions...

Comment

Getleft (search on sourceforge)

Comment

The man page for wget says it can spider a website following the rules of a website's robot.txt, thus reconstructing it.
                    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I often have to force wget to ignore robots.txt, and/or report that it's Netscape in its user agent string. A lot of websites don't want to be mirrored.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

hmm.. the site doesn't seem to like the robots.txt, but if i ignore that it reports no further errors but wont process the site. If anyone wants to help - pm and i'll give you the url, username and password and perhaps you can help me figure out the settings.... cheers lads!

Comment

Wombat, could you just give me quick info how to set wget that it'll download absolutelly everything? HTTrack and Getleft seem to omit some extensions...(or is there a way to force them to download everything?)

edit: I realised I have a better way. I have list (txt) with all the links. All of them. Many...

How to feed it into wget?

edit2: oh, and one more thing:
                          if link is
                          http://main url/directory1/file
                          I want it to go into subdirectory "directory1"
                          if link is
                          Http://main url/directory2...you get the idea.
                          Last edited by Nowhere; 22 June 2005, 03:15.

Comment

aye

And if anyone wants to help me nab this site - please shout!

Comment

you could try Teleport Pro, it's a fine program.

http://www.tenmax.com/teleport/pro/home.htm
                              "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Working...
                              X