Fruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit

Our household is cracking under the weight of fruit. This week, we have picked from our garden about
    5 kg peaches (1 weighed 418 g or 14.7 oz)
    2 kg nectarines
    2 kg oranges (the last of the season which started in December)
    4 kg grapefruit
    1 pomelo
    a handful of lemons
    1 small (6 kg) watermelon
    3 ogen melons
    8 kg courgettes

The sweet and hot peppers will be producing in about 2 weeks and the tomatoes are just beginning to ripen. The grapes will be ready in about one month and I guestimate we probably have about 50 kg (when ripe, the average bunch of the two varieties we have weigh about 500 g and I've counted 110 bunches ripening away).

The citrus season has been fantastic this past winter. I would guess 100 kg each of lemons (1 tree) and grapefruit (2 trees) plus 50 kg oranges (3 trees) and 25 kg of clementines. The pomelo has give 16 fruits averaging about 1.6 - 1.7 kg each. The only disappointment were the mandarines (not a single fruit).

Just for the two of us!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

You should try hauling in a crop of Waltham Butternut squash from our garden. That harvest should start ~August.

Based on past performance they'll weigh on average ~5 kg each and we'll have so many of them most will go to the farmers market down the road. My guess is about 8+ bushel baskets full and they'll be sweet as hell.

Then there's the tomatos, 5 varieties of hot pepper, yams and sweet corn.

I love harvest time

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
    X