Free MP3's of Beethoven's Symphonies performed by BBC Philharmonic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free MP3's of Beethoven's Symphonies performed by BBC Philharmonic

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Sweet! The download has begun...

Those are big files! Uhg, 8kb/s.
    Last edited by ZokesPro; 9 June 2005, 16:09.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Cool. Makes that TV licence a little bit easier to stomach. What is your favourite? I've heard No.5 lots before is that the most famous.

Comment

Let's see.. Already have the complete symphonies as recorded by:

Toscanini,
        Fürtwängler,
        Walter,
        Ormandy,
        Szell,
        Karajan (1),
        Karajan (2),
        Böhm,
        Bernstein,
        and Norrington.

Do I really need to download this one?

Comment

What is the best recording out of those? Have you heard classical music on any format such as DVD-A or SACD is there much difference, between CD.

Comment

5 and 9 are the most famous. They are about equally known. I like 9 a bit more than 5, personally. Can't wait for the site to post the last four

EDIT: Make sure you get Shibatch mpg123 for WinAmp, or another supported media player. It is the best MP3 decoder you can get.

Audigy 1 users can get ASIO output support with the kX drivers: http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1

Jammrock
            Last edited by Jammrock; 10 June 2005, 06:25.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Vivaldi - La Stravaganza [SACD] - this one is quite a good recording. If you listen closely enough you can even hear my brother playing the cello
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Would be more fun in the world that actually uses mpc...

Comment

I've always really liked the Eroica ... might also be because I've performed it numerous times. Beethoven was always my favorite as a performer and second would be Tchaikovsky.
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Love the Eroica (#3). Listened to #s 1,3,5,and 6 last night while working on a plan for the new store. They seem to inspire creativity. Oh, I was listening to Karajan (1), done in the late 50s or early 60s.

My favorite of the symphony sets is actually the one by Eugene Ormandy with the Philadelphia Orchestra. His interpretations were always precise and majestic, and the sound of the orchestra was rich and big. It's a pity they aren't on CD or SACD. I just have the LP set I bought in the early 80s.

That said, I grew up listening to the Tosacnini set of my parents, which is old and in mono but well done. Fürtwängler's version of anything is always interesting to listen to.. he seems to get to the very soul of the music with occasional liberties taken with tempo.

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                      I've always really liked the Eroica ... might also be because I've performed it numerous times. Beethoven was always my favorite as a performer and second would be Tchaikovsky.
                      What do you play?

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                        What do you play?
                        I just fiddled around.

Got to go on tour to Europe when I was young. At one point, we joined three orchestras totaling over 200 youth in a town square to play 1812 ... with real canons! Love the ash falling on the music. Shared a stand with a Chinese fellow who couldn't speak a word of English. Music ... the international language.
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Update: Symphonies 6-9 are now available for download.

Bringing this one back to the top: Symphonies 6-9 are now available for download.
                          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Thanks for the link, the MP3's however are Radio quality!! I guess it's still better than nothing.

I have the DVD audio in DTS version of all Beethoven's synphonies, now that is quality and in surround

Cheers,
                            Elie

Comment

Originally posted by MultimediaMan
                              Bringing this one back to the top: Symphonies 6-9 are now available for download.
                              Unfortunately I'm at my parent's home now for the weekend. We have dial-up here and can't tie up the phone line for that long. So could I get these from someone if they are gone by the time I get back to my place?

Cheers,
                              Thien
                              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                              X