PDA

View Full Version : anybody want this?

schmosef
7th June 2005, 12:45
(If not I'm throwing it out.)

It's an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ CPU. Used but in good condition (all the pins are straight). No heatsink or fan.

I don't remember if it was bought as a retail CPU or OEM. It used to be in one of my Dev PCs, which I've since upgraded to a 3200+. It's been sitting in a little plastic cpu holder for a while. I just found it while cleaning up my office.

I'm 90% sure it will work just fine. I'm not 100% sure though; why I'm not trying to sell it on eBay.

Whoever wants it only needs to pay for shipping from Toronto. I'd prefer to give it to someone who will actually use it, instead of just turning around and selling it themselves.

Lemme know.

Tjalfe
7th June 2005, 12:47
If nobody else wants it, it would be a nice upgrade for the athlon 1700+ I have here :)

schmosef
7th June 2005, 13:14
Hey, your sig says you have a 2500+! What gives?! (j/k I don't care)

tjalfe has first dibs. If anyone else wants it they'll have to convince him to give it up.

@tjalfe, do you come to Toronto at all? Maybe we can arrange someplace where you can just pick it up?

ZokesPro
7th June 2005, 13:16
Whoa, whoa!! I have an Xp2100+ and I'm far from rich!!

Give ti to me!

Please?? :classic:

Dammit, why didn't I see this thread earlier?

schmosef
7th June 2005, 13:20
at this point it's tjalfe's decision. convince him, not me.

Gurm
7th June 2005, 13:27
Hey, Julie's machine is currently running an Athlon 800. But the board goes up to 3200+... you could take pity on her... :(

schmosef
7th June 2005, 13:32
at this point it's tjalfe's decision. convince him, not me.
I didn't want to get in a position of having to decide who needs this more. Remember, I'm not even 100% sure it will work (although I know of no reason why it shouldn't).

tjalfe has first dibs, if anyone wants it now, semite or gentile, they'll have to convince him. (sorry to make you the bad guy tjalfe).

schmosef
7th June 2005, 13:33
@tjalfe, Just PM me with instuctions (and address) whenever you've decided.

ZokesPro
7th June 2005, 13:35
Hey, Julie's machine is currently running an Athlon 800. But the board goes up to 3200+... you could take pity on her... :(
800??? Ew, if tjalfe wants to, then I'd see no problem with that. I can still endure my 2100+, still runs great in almost every application I use.

tjalfe!!!!! Sup to you buddy. :p

agallag
7th June 2005, 13:36
Dammit, tjalfe. You're too quick. :p

Tjalfe
7th June 2005, 13:43
I was referring to my computer at work, being a 1700+ ( family business, otherwise I would have not cared to upgrade it).
the 1700+ could then be a nice upgrade for my sister ( She lives downtown TO, so a visit to her could be combined with a pickup :) )

ZokesPro
7th June 2005, 13:51
I was referring to my computer at work, being a 1700+ ( family business, otherwise I would have not cared to upgrade it).
the 1700+ could then be a nice upgrade for my sister ( She lives downtown TO, so a visit to her could be combined with a pickup :) )
So... your, um, keeping it? Please say no, please say no!

Tjalfe
7th June 2005, 13:55
Man.. you are making me feel bad about this :(
...Maybe I can find some other parts to upgrade your computer in my pile of older parts :)

ZokesPro
7th June 2005, 14:03
...Maybe I can find some other parts to upgrade your computer in my pile of older parts :)
D'oh! Sorry dude, wasn't my intention. Just hoping out loud. :(

To me, it doesn't matter one bit, but it's more for Gurm since Julie's system is running an athlon 800. I'd love to get my hands on it myself, but ultimetly it's your decision and you shouldn't feel bad if you wanna keep it, first come first serve. :)

But hey, in case you don't want it, you know who to talk to. ;)

schmosef
7th June 2005, 14:05
I suggest that you'll need to give yourself enough time to install and test the cpu before you plan to use your old cpu elsewhere. Also, remember that you'll have to supply your own heatsink and fan. Whatever you've got for your 1700+ probably isn't rated to be used on a 2800+.

My schedule is so messed up these days, maybe it's just easier if I send it to your family business. $~10 Purolater isn't too much for you is it? Just PM me the address. Do you use paypal? You can reimburse me for the shipping to my company's paypal account.

schmosef
7th June 2005, 14:07
sorry to put you in that position tjalfe. :down:
better you than me. ;)

I don't think you need to feel guilty. I wasn't asking who needed it more. As Zokes said, it was a first come first served kind of thing.

az
7th June 2005, 17:54
As for a fan, I'd highly recommend an Arctic Cooling copper silent 2 or lite. They are very cheap, quiet, reliable, and cool my 3000+ very well in a poorly ventilated case.

AZ

Nowhere
7th June 2005, 22:50
Ahh...crap...I don't even have internet acces at that time

Oh well...I probably wouldn't have the money for shipping costs and old Palomino 1700+ is enough...

Kurt
8th June 2005, 00:23
@Gurm: is that a socket A Athlon800?? I didn't remember they even existed in Socket A...

Wombat
8th June 2005, 01:16
@Gurm: is that a socket A Athlon800?? I didn't remember they even existed in Socket A...
Durons did...

Gurm
8th June 2005, 04:18

Heck, it could be a Duron. No, I'm pretty sure it's a straight Athlon. I pulled it from a Dell with a blown mobo. It works in this socket A board, so I'm gonna go with "yeah they existed". ;)

Kurt
8th June 2005, 07:09
So it's an Intel Athlon 800 Socket A???

Talk about a strange beast :D

Gurm
8th June 2005, 08:18
So it's an Intel Athlon 800 Socket A???

Talk about a strange beast :D

Huh? Why would it be an Intel?

Edit: No, seriously - what ever gave you the impression that it was an Intel?

Edit2: Oh, maybe the "Dell" business. Err... actually I think it came out of a Compaq, now that I think about it. But all those OEM's have at one time or another offered AMD chips.

ZokesPro
8th June 2005, 08:53
Huh? Why would it be an Intel?

Edit: No, seriously - what ever gave you the impression that it was an Intel?

Edit2: Oh, maybe the "Dell" business. Err... actually I think it came out of a Compaq, now that I think about it. But all those OEM's have at one time or another offered AMD chips.
It's definitely not a Dell, they never have and never will use AMD cpu's.

But yeah, my roomate has a Athlon 750MHz Socket A. So yeah, they exist.

Gurm
8th June 2005, 11:06
It's definitely not a Dell, they never have and never will use AMD cpu's.

But yeah, my roomate has a Athlon 750MHz Socket A. So yeah, they exist.

You may very well be right about Dell... *shrug*

Kooldino
8th June 2005, 11:44
I have an Athlon 1600+
I suck.

Kooldino
8th June 2005, 11:45
They definitely did.

Tjalfe
8th June 2005, 12:42
I have an Athlon 1600+
I suck.
You more than make up for that with your car :p

Kooldino
8th June 2005, 13:11
You more than make up for that with your car :p
Haha, it's funny you mention that. I used to always have a high end PC until I got serious with the car.

Gurm
8th June 2005, 16:23
Haha, it's funny you mention that. I used to always have a high end PC until I got serious with the car.

My friends are like that. Their PC's used to rock, I used to keep them all up-to-date. Now they have project cars (real project cars, not my "fix up a Volvo wagon for under $500" project) and computers that verge on the terminally old.

TnT
8th June 2005, 17:30
My computer was neglected for a while as I started buying backpacking gear and house plant stuff. Then I satisfied those needs and now back to having a kick ass computer.

GNEP
9th June 2005, 02:00
How's your car coming along btw Gurm?

Kurt
9th June 2005, 03:32
Should be ready for when the baby gets the driver's license :)

xortam
9th June 2005, 14:33
My computer was neglected for a while as I started buying backpacking gear and house plant stuff. ...Growing dope in the hills are you? :D

ZokesPro
9th June 2005, 16:01
You may very well be right about Dell... *shrug*
Well I did work for them for 32 months. ;) (not directly but I had access to all thier info and internal documents)

@tjalfe:So.... you still gettin' that cpu? :nervous:

schmosef
9th June 2005, 19:15
I sent it via Purolator today. I hope it works well for you tjalfe. (no soldering required!)