DVD Decrypter - Gone, Forever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Decrypter - Gone, Forever!

I"ve got some good news and some bad news.Let’s start with the good.... (tumble weed passes by)Ok, and now onto the bad: DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 is the last version you"ll ever see.We hoped this day would never come, but it has, and I can promise you, nobody is more gutted about it than I am.

What started as a bit of fun, putting a GUI around some existing code, turned into something that I can only describe as ‘part of me’ – yes, I know that’s sad ;-) As I"ve recently been made aware (by a letter, hand delivered to my door, last Tuesday), due to some law that was changed back in October 2003, circumventing copy protection isn"t allowed.

Ok so it has taken a while (almost 2 years), but eventually "a certain company" has decided they don"t like what I"m doing (circumventing their protection) and have come at me like a pack of wolves. I"ve no choice but to cease everything to do with DVD Decrypter.I realise this is going to be one of those "that sucks - fight them!" kinda things, but at the end of the day, it"s my life and I"m not about to throw it all away (before it has even really started) attempting to fight a battle I can"t possibly win.

If 321 Studios can"t do it with millions, what chance do I have with £50?! As I"m sure most of you have already noticed, the site has been down for a few days. That surprised me as much as the next person (slight breakdown in communication), or I would have issued this statement on it directly.

So anyway, from this point forward, I"m no longer permitted to provide any sort of assistance with anything that helps people infringe the rights of "a certain company".That means, no more emails, no more forum posts, no PM"s, no nothing! END OF STORY.The domain name will be transferred over to the company by the end of the week (9th June, according to the undertakings I have to sign) so don"t email it thinking "Oh, I"ll just ask LIGHTNING UK! for support on this". You"ll not be getting the intended recipient and could be landing yourself in sh1t!

With 3.5.4.0 being the last version, it makes sense for everyone to disable the "check for new versions" feature, as obviously there won"t be any. Of course what I really mean is that you should all stop using the program out of respect for the company’s rights.

Anyone hosting DVD Decrypter is advised to cease doing so immediately. I"ve the feeling they won"t stop with just me. I"m having to contact anyone I know of that is (at the very least, the "mirror" sites), and tell them to stop. Copies of those emails must also be sent to the solicitors so they can check I"m doing everything I"m supposed to. If I don’t, I die.

It is of course down to the owners of those sites to react how they want to. It"s not my job to force you to do anything you don"t want to, I"m just giving you some friendly advice. Maybe it"s just me, but I see this as a bit of an "end of an era". I realise there are other tools, but there"s no telling how much longer they"ll last, and not only that, mine was the oldest! I"ve met loads of great people over the years and I want to take this opportunity to wish them every success for the future - yes DDBT peeps, that includes you lot! : "(I hope you"ve all enjoyed my contribution to the DVD scene and maybe I"ll see ya around sometime.

LIGHTNING UK!
    (Author of the once "Ultimate DVD Ripper", DVD Decrypter)

[sarcasam]
    About damn time too, I cannot believe commie software like that was allowed to be spread as long as it was. I don't think people should be allowed to even remember something they watched or listened to, it's hardly any different than just out-right stealing from the media companies who work their fingers to the bones without thanks from the greedy masses.
    [/sarcasam]

Comment

Anyone got a link to the latest copy. My latest is 3.4.2.0. Wouldn't mind having it just in case.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Google for "DVD Decrypter", click the third link.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

tanks!
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

As posted in one of the related sites:
            "DVDDecrypter doesn't rip movies, people do!"

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
              Google for "DVD Decrypter", click the third link.
              Hahahahaha... you have to click an agreement saying you are not a resident of the US, UK, or Germany to download it.

This sucks. Do they really think that this will somehow curb piracy in any way. For every copyright scheme they come up with there will be 1000 hackers working to break it. They're only hope is doing something magical with Blu-ray and/or HD-DVD...which is one of the key reasons they want to switch.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Olli has moved SlySoft (AnyDVD) to Antigua. Rest assured work on it will continue. You can always run AnyDVD in the background and DVD Decrypter in the foreground, even if (when) new protections come out.

Rumor has it that Sony was REALLY upset that DVD Decrypter ripped through Arccos in one day.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Isn't my home DVD player a legal decrypter too?

I can tape the signal too. Heck, I can even do it on a SONY VCR! buggers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                    Isn't my home DVD player a legal decrypter too?

I can tape the signal too. Heck, I can even do it on a SONY VCR! buggers.
                    Yes, but it's a copy of degraded quality and does not circumvent copyright protections (assuming your VCR doesn't have Macromedia protection that you have circumvented). DVD Decrypter got nailed when it "violated" the DMCA.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

He should have moved his "company" to a more conducive country. In point of fact, it's easy enough to sit happily in the USA, UK, Germany, or wherever... and write "illegal" code, so long as your website is hosted somewhere else. LOL.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

That sucks! I love DVD Decrypter! I used it to watch movies that I own, on a laptop without a DVD drive. :-(
                        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                          Yes, but it's a copy of degraded quality and does not circumvent copyright protections (assuming your VCR doesn't have Macromedia protection that you have circumvented). DVD Decrypter got nailed when it "violated" the DMCA.
                          Doesn't even need to sell it in the US.

He could just make a player that uses a temp file to be sent to Windows Media Player, with a nice option to no delete temp files... wold that work under the MPAAMCA?

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                            Doesn't even need to sell it in the US.

He could just make a player that uses a temp file to be sent to Windows Media Player, with a nice option to no delete temp files... wold that work under the MPAAMCA?
                            There actually was a program like that, back before DVD Decrypter and Smart Ripper caught on. The problem with that is that you don't get the actual DVD data - you get someone's "interpretation" of it. Of course a program could be written that spews out the decoded data BEFORE it plays with it, but...

Comment

's what I'm saying. decode the data and keep it in a temp, play it through WMP or any other, just don't delete the temp _immediately_ afterwards...

Comment

Working...
                              X