My mouse wanders...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mouse wanders...

I don't know why, but my Mouseman Optical has started... wandering... lately. It doesn't do it all the time, but often enough to be irritating. The cursor will just start... drifting. Moving the mouse slightly causes the cursor to come back under control.

Is it the sensor? If it were, I wouldn't think that moving the mouse would immediately fix it...?
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

my microsoft mouse does exactly the same thing. More so when I am using it on the desktop and not on a mousepad.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Did you check for fine hairs/lint/fluff caught in front of the lens?
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
        Did you check for fine hairs/lint/fluff caught in front of the lens?
        GIVE THIS MAN A PRIZE!

There was a hair right across the lens aperture! I can't believe I didn't notice it before!

There we go... HOT DAMN that's a long hair! JUUUUUUULLIIIIEEEEE!
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Ha! I rock.

That's happened to me a few times. It's always a hair.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I have had the same thing.... hair, or a small piece of fluff
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I don't trust dem new fangled camera mouses anyhow, theys usin em ta spy on yah alls!

Comment

I've known low batteries cause it on cordless opticals too.
                FT.

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                  Ha! I rock.

That's happened to me a few times. It's always a hair.
                  Drukeness can also cause that!
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                    Drukeness can also cause that!
                    Oh yeah {hic}

Comment

Mine started doing that here at work.
                      Then it started clicking on stuff, seemingly at random.
                      Minimizing and maximizing windows and clicking on my task bar.
                      Almost closed some work I was doing.
                      It was really wierd.

Turned out someone else in the bulding (~1000 PCs in close quarters) had gotten a new cordless mouse and mine would pick up the signal when I wasn't actually moving it.

Had them get me a corded mouse.
                      Last edited by cjolley; 7 June 2005, 10:17.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                        Had them get me a chorded mouse.
                        Doesn't the noise annoy your colleagues?
                        FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                          Doesn't the noise annoy your colleagues?
                          No, but the fact that it could only play one string at a time did.
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

My older optical Logitech Mouseman Wheel had the slow wandering issue. The cause was that my wood-grain desk had a particular pattern that must have confused the pickup in the mouse, cause the cursor would go bonkers if I left the mouse on a certain part of the desk. So much for the claim of using an optical on any surface except glass. Anyhow a mousepad fixed the issue. But I mean I got the stupid optical to NOT have to use a mousepad. Isn't technology great
                            Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                            MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                            Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                            Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Hair sounds about right. However, I've seen this a lot on laptops, especially with a pointing stick. I've also had this problem if I have a tablet plugged into the system too and I'm not careful with where the pen is. So basically, if you have two pointing devices they can wig each other out.
                              Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X