Anti-Virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Virus?

So I had this whole roundup written, and the Opera 8.01 beta ate it. So I'll recap.

Norton - still gets everything, still horrifyingly bloated.

McAfee - gets everything, no longer eats your system like 7.x did, but now just as bloated as Norton. Ick.

AVG - 6.0 was amazing. 7.0 less so. Interface is obtuse - like getting RID of a virus after you've scanned for viruses involves going three screens deep and then right-clicking. That's pretty silly. Also 7.0 is more resource-hungry and obtrusive. Not terribly so, but it's now noticeable whereas 6.0 could be doing a full virus-scan in the background and you could still play a game. You can't do ANYTHING while 7.0 is scanning.

Panda - used to be bizarre (Win3.1 installer, Win95 interface) but now is nice and pretty. But I haven't tested it because it requires a separate subscription fee and I'm not gonna pay to TEST a program. There is no trial.

Kaspersky - has been going downhill for a long time. Used to be the "Russian Elite" but now it's just quirky and oddly put together. Doesn't catch everything.

-----------

What do you guys use? AVG is increasingly frustrating to me. I don't own it, so I tend to use 7.0 free, and it's... ok. Not great. Not as great as 6.0 was. I'm tempted to try one of the minimalist AV progs. Some that I know of:

Norton Corporate - much sleeker than regular Norton, but still gets all the nasties.
    F-Prot
    Sophos

Anyone know anything about these? Weigh in on what you use!
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

We just got NAV Corp edition v10 at the office. Haven't tried it myself. My business partner is testing it for deployment with our customers.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

AVG 7 Free edition... Gets the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Goc
        Well I know it does. But not as well as AVG 6 did. And in sort of an irritating manner at times. (Try removing viruses that it doesn't auto-catch!) And once in a while it'll catch some JavaScript virus and get into this infinite loop of trying to remove it, blocking the file, and keep bugging you over and over until you kill the AVG process.

Plus its active-scanner is no longer as fast as it once was.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
          We just got NAV Corp edition v10 at the office. Haven't tried it myself. My business partner is testing it for deployment with our customers.
          Yeah I might have to try it. I used NAV Corp for a while before I used AVG (it was NAV Corp v7 I think?), at the time it was very good - lightweight but caught as much stuff as NAV home.

Comment

I like NAV the best but it costs money so AVG 7 it is It's fairly painless. Mcafee is the worst.
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I'm using McAfee v8.0i corporate. It's free for me, and it doesn't horribly suck, so it's what I use. Meh.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Goc
                Same here.

But once it does a system scan, I let it finish cause it's true you can't really do anythign else while it's running.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                  I'm using McAfee v8.0i corporate. It's free for me, and it doesn't horribly suck, so it's what I use. Meh.
                  I hadn't considered McAfee's corporate version. I bet it has less webware and XML in it. Maybe I'll put it on my list to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                    I hadn't considered McAfee's corporate version. I bet it has less webware and XML in it. Maybe I'll put it on my list to try.
                    Got mcafee 8.0I at work.

We don't use it as it's very very slow. An hour worth of cleaning with version would take three or four with eight. Doesn't miss much but a full scan is an overnight job.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I'm not really concerned about not being able to do anything else while AVG is performing a full system scan. As my machines are always on crunching BOINC data I scheduled daily full system scan at a time I'm certain I would be in bed (4 am or something like that). In fact I don't think I've seen anything from AVG in months, except an occasional message about not being able to auto update.

I find any AV software annoying and obtrusive, and although I'm pretty sure I would stay virus free even without an anti-virus program/suite, in last few years viruses evolved to a point where the only safe way to stay 100% virus-free is to never turn on your computer , so I keep AV software running as an additional safety measure on top of being very careful about what and where I click while I work. And a free additional safety measure is always better than bloated, annoying, firewall-integrated, pop-up-hundred-times-a-day additional safety measure that costs money.

Therefore AVG it is.

Comment

Avast.

Comment

F-Secure Internet Security includes the full version of Ad-aware pro.
                          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Another AVG 7.0 Free user...

IMO, it isn't worse than any other. Norton can be obtrusive, McAfee can be unstable, eTrust (which we have at work) is very resource-hungry, ...

Jörg
                            pixar
                            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

AVG 7.0 Pro user.

I don't have any issues with it all, I don't do a full scan that often and when I do it is while I'm not using my PC. I used to use Sym AntiVirus 2003, that caught 99& of dodgy email, had problems with blank emails forcing me to log into my mail server and delete manually, or shut it down.

Comment

Working...
                              X