dual interface AGP/PCIe card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual interface AGP/PCIe card

It probabely won't make it into the retail market, but MSI has demonstrated an Radeon X800 based card that offers both an AGP and a PCIe interface. Just flip the card upside down...

Tech news and expert reviews of the latest mobile phones, laptops, cameras, gadgets and home appliances. We'll help you buy the right product for you

I wonder, wouldn't there really be a market for this?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I think the single most expensive item in my PC is the graphics card, and if I was spending £300 for a top of the range card, I'd expect it to last for a few years and move between mobo's as needed.

On the flipside of that, PCI-E mobo's are getting popular and cheap, so you might as well buy a new mobo to fit your graphics card rather than the other way around. All MSI have done is produce a PCI-E card with legacy capability - a very limited market IMO.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I personally don't perfer that idea for the same reason... for some 300 dollars i'd just wait, save up, and get an entire new system with PCIe mobo. Which is what I actually did...

But that is some innovation there. Its a situation like that mobo (forgot what brand) that u can have a P4 or a K8 CPU through a riser card.

Comment

I think it is odd that companies put time and effort into develloping innovative things like this, and then don't use them. At least that mobo you refer it is (or will be) available...

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

@Chrono Wanderer: that riser card costs about as much as a new mobo. I'm not sure it's really interesting.

Comment

I seem to remember a Token Ring card like that, it was MCA on one side and ISA on the other
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Hey I remember seeing a video card like that before. I think it was around 1998. It was based on a Rendition chipset (I think) and had PCI and AGP on either ends of the card. Forgot the name and company though.

Comment

Working...
              X