ADVC110 problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADVC110 problems...

I'm having issues with my Canopus ADVC110. At times, both blue leds light up, and the devices stops responding. This usually happens immediatly after a capture, and I'm beginning to think it seems depend on the software used (using Pinnacle System 8 it always happens).

I've had the same issue before; the ADVC110 was sent back and was returned with the statement that tech support found no problem with the device. Just to be on the safe side, I purchased the external power supply, and stopped providing power via firewire. Now, using this powersupply, the problem still remains.

The solution is to disconnect the firewire-cable from the ADVC110, wait a few seconds and plug it back in. Unplugging it from power (without unpluggin from firewire) doesn't help.

My system:
    SuperMicro X5da8
    - dual Xeon Prestionia (2.4 GHz, FSB 533, hyperthreading enabled)
    - 1 GB DDR Registered ECC (Infineon)
    - Seagate Cheetah 10K.6 (SCSI CH A, id 0)
    - IBM UltraStar 36 lzx (SCSI CH A, id 1)
    - PC Power & Cooling 510 XE (PSU)
    Matrox Parhelia 512 (128 MB)
    Indigita IDT804PCI (PCI-X firewire adapter)
    - Lacie Big Disk Extreme (FW 800, hardware raid 0)
    - Canopus ADVC110
    Adaptec 2940 UW
    - Iomega Zip 250
    - Agfa Snapscan 1236s

The ADVC110 is connected via a 9 pin - 4 pin IEEE cable to the Indigita, and shows up as a "tape recorder/player".

The problem occured with Pinnacle Studio 8, so I wanted to see if it was software related. For testing purposes, I have disconnected the Lacie device (to rule out any conflict with this). The ADVC110 is now the only IEEE device present in the computer.

I first tried Windows Media Encoder, and followed these steps:
    1. select 'capture video' (wizard starts)
    2. choose source, compression, ...
    3. finish the wizard (click finish)
    -> 2nd led lights up on the ADVC110
    4. click start encoding
    -> A device attached to the system is not functioning (0x8007001F).
    -> Windows Media Encoder hangs

I then tried Avid Free DV.
    At startup, the capture device is set (by default) to Generic DVdevice-PAL. The deck-counter is running, capture preview is also showing the inputted video. Subsequent captures (video + audio, only video, only audio, ...) is perfectly possible.

During all this time, the counter keeps running. For AvidDV, the ADVC110 is seen as a generic deck, so there are deck-controls. Clicking the deck STOP button causes the counter to change to "waiting", and the ADVC110 to light up its second led (digital in). After this, the ADVC110 is 'lost' for the software (capturing is no longer possible). The same happens when trying to configure the deck as a Canopus ADVC100 (the ADVC110 is not in the list).

I also tried underclocking the firewire card (instead of running it at 133 MHz, I ran it at 33 MHz, but it yielded no difference to the behaviour of the ADVC110).

I'm beginning to hate this device...
    Tech support is very helpfull though, they now suggest I send it back again, and they'll send me a new unit. But somehow, I doubt it will change things...

Any thoughts?

I'm running XP Professional, SP2; no other patches installed (the PC has no internet connection).

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

This is most definately a hardware failure, so get it back and let them get it sorted, no matter the trouble. As for Avid, most firewire devices are detected as generic DV-devices, sometimes even when the connected device is actually present in the known hardware list, so that may never be an issue.
    -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
    2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    Matrox Parhelia 128
    Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
    Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
    Maxtor 300 GB for video
    Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
    Win XP Pro

At work:
    Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
    Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

Cool, so you think it will be sorted when they send me a new one?
      (they didn't see it act up the first time I sent it in, so the just sent it back ...)

Euhm, over on the Canopus forums, other users mentioned to use MS 1394 device control, but I have the impression that is for Win98SE. My device shows up as an "AVC recorder/player" (not sure about the description, but it starts with AVC)

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Ok, arrangements have been made to send it back. I'll only be able to do so next week though.

I just wonder: suppose the new device also acts up, what are my options to get a refund?

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Working...
        X