Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hardware suggestions for 3 x 1920x1200 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardware suggestions for 3 x 1920x1200 ?

Hello,

I am a FreeBSD user who has run a triple-monitor desktop for quite some time. I really like this environment. No games or 3d or even much video playback (although once in a while I do play a clip from the web or stick a DVD in, or run a TV tuner window, but very rarely).

Currently I am accomplishing this with a matrox p750 card, and three NEC 2080ux (20.1 inch 1600x1200) monitors. Obviously kind of a waste, since the p750 card downgrades itself to 1280x1024 with three monitors. Not much I can do about that.

Anyway, due to the very low price of the dell 2405 24" monitor, I am considering buying three of them. However, I do not wish to waste my pixels this time around.

So, what suggestions do you folks have for driving three 1920x1200 monitors at full resolution ? I would be happy to do matrox, but I am not wedded to them and will consider other hardware vendors. Further, because this is X and my stretched desktop does not depend on having all three monitors on one chip, it is possible for me to do multiple video cards as well.

One thought that comes to mind is a very fast modern 3d card for the center screen, and a matrox card capable of 2x 1920x1200 for the two side screens ? That would accomplish it with only two video cards. Obviously I would prefer to do it with just one. Will either of those two new matrox cards perform this ? Doesn't look like the QID can do 1920x1200 (even on one channel), but what about the APVe or the DL256 ?

One other consideration is, does 3x 1920x1200 @ 24bit exceed the bus bandwidth of AGP ? What about pci-express ?

Really, any and all suggestions are well taken - I don't really care much how it gets done, I just want 3 x 1920x1200 @ 24 bit, and if I can do that with 1 matrox card, wonderful. If I can do it with just two cards, great. Three cards ... getting a little sub-optimal...

thanks.

I wanna help you out but this goes a little beyond my knowledge, but be patient, I'm sure someone will offer you some insight soon enough.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

ehhh...PW'ing all the way, Zokes?

Comment

roflmao!
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by demonseed
          Hello,

Anyway, due to the very low price of the dell 2405 24" monitor, I am considering buying three of them. However, I do not wish to waste my pixels this time around.

thanks.

I take donations and charity.

I know that my post didn't help at all, but I wish you the best in ur endeavour. I haven't even gotten past dreaming of ONE Dell FPW2405, and your contemplating 3. I envy you!
          Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
          MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
          Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
          Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Working...
          X