Which Parhelia or P750 should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Parhelia or P750 should I get?

I'm thinking of dumping the buggy ATI's/nVidias that have been torturing me for years and going back to Matrox.
    I used to have (still do) a G400 MAX and was always happy with it.

However when I recently tried using it, I noticed that video playback was not as smooth as with my ATI card (natural since ATI has hardware acceleration).

I was thinking of getting a p750 or a Parhelia. Video is all I do on my PC and if I got one of those I would want to know they are perfect. After all they for the same money as a high end ATI all-in-wonder.

Can someone please advise me:

a) Is there adifference between the p750 and Parhelia? Matrox's site states the Parhelia has an integrated TV encoder - is that unique to the Parhelia?
    a) are these cards good for video playback?
    c )Is the TV out picture good? what TV-out do they use: s-video? Scart? Composite?

Most importantly, are there any models to avoid? I may buy a used card off ebay and I remember reading that various types of Parhelias had strange problems and were to be avoided.

If anyone can help me, I'll be very grateful for your time.

You want to avoid Parhelia AGP 4x, P-series and 8x Parhelias are OK (banding), although not all 4x exhibited this and it's present to a different degree. If buying used, avoid.

As per card - P750 and Parhelia 8x are ~same in terms of 2D, the only difference is faster 3D and Parhelia has some WYSWYG plugins P-series lacks.

Comment

Wow - I wouldn't have expected such an expnsive card to have banding!

On that basis I would go for the P750 (especially since I have no interest in 3D).

Does the P750 also have banding problems?

Comment

Just to clarify UtwigMU's previous post -
        Only the original, AGP 4x Parhelia's exhibited the banding problem.

Comment

The P750 has also an built-in TV encoder (Composite, S-video, no scart !) (should be the same as Parhelia).

The S-video signal comming out from my P750 is really not as good as the S-video signal comming out from my G400.

If you want better quality with P750/Parhelia you must connect the TV with the SCART RGB tweak. http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?t=47349
          we spoke about ...

If you plan HD video (720p-1080i/p) the P750 is not sufficient, the Parhelia seems not (see AVSForum) because of the lack of hardware VMR9 support (DirectX9 missing).
          I tried everything but could'nt play HD material with satisfaction with the P750 (not smooth).

I finaly ended with an ASUS 6800GT modded to Quadro FX4000, overclocked at 425/900. The current Nvidia drivers are very good. I drive the TV in SCART RGB with the second head of the Nvidia, the picture is great, and the playback absolutely smooth. Beside the colors, wich are a little better with the P750, everything is better with the Quadro FX4000 including the prof. CAD drivers (I work also a lot with AutoCad).
          A64 3500+ NewCastle @2550 (FSB 255, 10X)
          Abit AV8 v1.1 bios 1.7
          2X256 MB Crucial Ballistix PC4000 (1T Cas 2.0, 2-2-6) @DDR333/FSB255=212MHZ
          LC Power 550 W
          Geforce 6800 GT (Asus V9999GT-TD /128) @428/900 + nvSilencer 5 rev.2
          Thermalright XP-90 + Enermax 92mm fan
          NEC 3520A DVD-RW Firmware 3.04
          SB Audigy 2
          BELINEA 10-17-30
          XP Home SP2 - Via Hyperion Pro 5.00A
          Via IDE accelerator Driver 1.21 Beta
          Via RAID 4.30C driver Via velocity V23 Network driver
          ------------------------------------------
          3DMark05=5024 3DMark03=12508 3DMark01=24352 AquaMark03=70712

Comment