Setup:
    Motherboard: ASRock K7S8XE+ BIOS 2.0
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked to 3200+
    Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB dimms
    Sound Card: TB Santa Cruz
    Video Card: ATI X850XT PE
    Misc Card: Leadtek Winfast TV 2000 Expert
    Power Supply: 350 watt power supply that came with Aspire X-Sonic case

The TB Santa Cruz is in the PCI slot all the way at the bottom. (farthest from AGP slot)
    The TV Tuner card is one above the Santa Cruz.

When I play HL2, it would lockup and I can here the sound just stuttering over and over.
    This used to also happen when I played HL: TFC, but it was inconsistent. Sometimes it would happen within a few minutes of playing TFC, sometimes it wouldn't happen at all during my TFC session. Yesterday, I installed HL2, and tried to play it. It didn't take long before it locked up with the sound stuttering problem.

Any suggestions? Ideas? Not sure what other information I should provide.
    Last edited by RC Agent; 26 May 2005, 12:54.
    RC Agent
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
    AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Of course, you know our first suggestion is to try running the game without any overclocking.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Agent
      Setup:
      Motherboard: ASRock K7S8XE+ BIOS 2.0
      CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked to 3200+
      Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB dimms
      Sound Card: TB Santa Cruz
      Video Card: ATI X850XT PE
      Misc Card: Leadtek Winfast TV 2000 Expert
      Power Supply: 350 watt power supply that came with Aspire X-Sonic case

The TB Santa Cruz is in the PCI slot all the way at the bottom. (farthest from AGP slot)
      The TV Tuner card is one above the Santa Cruz.

When I play HL2, it would lockup and I can here the sound just stuttering over and over.
      This used to also happen when I played HL: TFC, but it was inconsistent. Sometimes it would happen within a few minutes of playing TFC, sometimes it wouldn't happen at all during my TFC session. Yesterday, I installed HL2, and tried to play it. It didn't take long before it locked up with the sound stuttering problem.

Any suggestions? Ideas? Not sure what other information I should provide.

It's a well known problem with the game. I had it but the latest updates from Steam and ATI cats seem to have resolved the problem for me.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Lowering the graphics settings a bit sorted it (ish) for me.
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I use to have stuttering issues with HL1 and CS with my TurtleBeach card. I fixed it by using the software that came with it and setting the hardware voices to 64 (the max) and turning OFF the software voices (which was by default set to 1024). I never had HL1 or HL2 lock up on me, but the stuttering drove me nuts. I don't see how the Wavetable Synthesizer Settings has anything to do with how the game runs, but for some reason it did. Good luck!

Oh and for your listed system specs, a 350 Watt PSU does look a bit weak, IMHO.
          Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
          MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
          Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
          Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Another thing what made my stuttering worse was that the game for some reason defaulted to 7:1 sound.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
            X